GO!

HORRIBLE DOOKY BREATH!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Rosey Belle- Stewart

Mommy, let\'s- Snuggle!

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 5:43pm PST 
So, my baby girls Sweetpea, and Rosey have horrible breath, that smells like straight up doodoo. Is there any remedies or anything ya'll suggest to help their breath smell better? Please help. I love getting kisses from them, but here lately I haven't been letting them kiss me because of their breath. What do ya'll do to treat and prevent this?
[notify]
Nakita Mae- Angel Girl

Live to dock- dive!

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 7:58pm PST 
Make sure there is nothing going on medically, kidney problems, diabetes, dental problems can cause terrible breath. Is your pup drinking more and urinating more than usual? That can be a sign of the above problems.
Also, foods can cause problems with breath. When I feed lamb Mitchell's breath smells horrible for a few days, it took me awhile to figure out what it was, but it happens every time we feed lamb.
Are you giving some digestive enzymes to help your pups digest their food? This can really help with your dogs breath.
Best wishes finding out what is going on.
[notify]
Rosey Belle- Stewart

Mommy, let\'s- Snuggle!

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 11:03pm PST 
My dogs are healthy. They've been checked by a vet and everything. I feed them TOTW roasted fowl flavor. Maybe it's the food, or maybe they have plaque or tarter build up. Maybe I'll try those dentisticks.....
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 11:37pm PST 
Treatment depends on your vet’s diagnosis. If plaque is the culprit, your dog might require professional cleaning. Believe me, I've had my dog brought to the vet to get her teeth cleaned and did her breath smell great after that! If it’s an issue of diet, you might have to change your dog’s regular food. If the cause is gastrointestinal or an abnormality in your dog’s liver, kidneys, or lungs, please consult your vet about steps you should take.

Bring your dog in for regular checkups to make sure he has no underlying medical issues that may cause halitosis. Make sure your vet monitors and tracks the state of your dog’s teeth and breath. Feed your dog a high-quality, easy-to-digest food.

You may also want to brush your dog’s teeth frequently. Please be sure to use toothpaste formulated for dogs as human toothpaste can upset a dog's stomach. BTW, do you brush your dog's teeth?

Provide hard, safe chew toys that allow your dog’s teeth to be cleaned by the natural process of chewing. I think dentisticks may work, though I'm not 100% sure. You can also give your dog well-researched treats formulated to improve breath odor.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 12:38am PST 
Give your dog some fennel seed with his food or as a concentrated tea or give him a stalk of sweet florentine fennel. When Foxxy is having bad breath or gas, the stalk works well because she strips it and chews it so it flosses the teeth and that anise smell is very nice. The plant is a carminative and totally non-toxic to dogs so the gi tract will be less gassy, and it helps heal stomach problems too.

Edited by author Tue Feb 12, '13 12:39am PST

[notify]

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 10:02am PST 
Please start by spending a few dollars and buying a doggie toothbrush for each dog and some doggie toothpaste (which doesn't foam like human toothpaste) at your local pet store. You can get two different colors of toothbrushes so you know which one is for which dog.
Start by putting a little doggie toothpaste on your finger and try to massage their teeth and gums with it to get them used to it... progress to the toothbrush and try to brush their teeth every night before bed just like you would your young kids...

If there is a lot of plaque built up you will need to get them to the vet to get that fixed - But you need to start getting in the habit of good dental hygiene as soon as possible. Also to add to the routine are doggie dental pads that you wrap around your fingers and wipe on their teeth and gums after brushing... you can use these also for quick cleaning when you don't have time to brush but believe me brushing is the only safe way to make sure your dogs teeth and gums are healthy. Plaque and dental issues can also cause heart diseases so it's important to clean your dogs teeth regularly.

Please don't take the easy way out and give your dogs "greenies" or other teeth-cleaning biscuits as they are hard to digest and some dog have died from intestinal obstruction because of these types of products. good luck and happy brushing! happy dance peace, love and dogOdog!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 10:39am PST 
Check the other end. Sassy had horrible breath because she licked her sore rear end. She had chronic anal sac irritation. On home cooked food the situation improved a great deal.
[notify]