GO!

Leg licking

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Winston

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 7:27pm PST 
My poor Winston licks his leg while in his kennel. I can hear it when we put him up at night. I noticed its now missing hair and raw. He's even thrown up hair all over his bed. Is this a sign of boredom? What can I do? What should I put on the raw spot?

Edited by author Mon Feb 11, '13 4:29pm PST

[notify]
Mazzy

S-S-S-SQUIRREEEL- LLL!!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 3:06am PST 
Is the dog licking at a joint? And how old is it? It could be arthritis/pain that is making him lick, or, as you said, it could just be boredom. If the dog is older I'd take it to the vet and see if the vet thinks arthritis may be an issue. You can get pain meds to manage any discomfort he may have if that's the case.
[notify]
Lily

Miss Lily, Lily- Belle

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 4:19am PST 
Unless there's an open sore, i doubt it is health related. I've never seen a dog lick an arthritic limb. I could be wrong, though.

My suspicion would be frustration, and anxiety. While I disagree with him on mos things, one thing I believe Cesar Milan is absolutely right on is, a 30 minute daily walk quickly cures virtually any stress or anxiety-related issue.

If you dog is already getting that daily walk, then I'd speak to my vet about it.

Edited by author Tue Feb 12, '13 4:22am PST

[notify]

Winston

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 5:05am PST 
It's not at a joint and it's not an open sore. It's just pink and he's licking his hair off. I'm starting to think it's anxiety and boredom. Since it has gotten dark earlier we don't always get in our daily walks. Our neighborhood is dangerous to walk in at night because people fly down our roads and don't watch where they are going regardless if you are wearing reflective gear. I am going to have to make it a point to walk him though.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 4:17pm PST 
It could be allergies.

Raymond did have pink skin so I suspected allergies He was seriously bored one day and licked the fur off one leg. It healed up when I put Benedryl cream on it. Light bulb moment! Started giving him Benedryl tablets after that when he started licking and the pink skin cleared up.

Max started licking his front legs. He didn't get to the skin but did raise up a couple of wart like bumps and took off the fluffy undercoat so he had shiny black legs and fuzzy feathers, looked strange. I took him off whole sardines and he stopped licking his legs and to my surprise the warty bumps vanished as well.

I thought Max's licking was pain and put him on joint supplements. He did feel more bouncy but the licking stayed the same.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 6:43pm PST 
Has he ever done this behavior before?

Sanka is an obsessive licker. How it started, I don't know, but it is habitual now. No matter how he feels or how tired he is, he must lick himself obsessively before nodding off to sleep. And yes, he'll lick it raw. Never threw it up though.

I think it's just habit for him, but also a bit relaxing for him. A way to settle down and tidy up before a big snooze.
[notify]
Ch. Ali, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 3:47pm PST 
Ali was chewing her front "wrist" every night before going off to sleep. She has chewed to the point that the hair is red, BUT the skin is perfectly normal appearing.
Suspecting some sort of pain response I asked her breeder if she had ever injured her wrist. (She was six months old when I got her.) Sure enough, she had fractured it when she was a baby puppy. I now give her a NSAID when it's cold and damp or she has been getting more exercise than usual and the chewing has completely stopped.
Obviously, in her case, it was/is a definite response to pain in the joint.
[notify]