GO!

swollen, bothersome tail?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Reyna

Don\'t Reyna Me- In

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 5:39am PST 
Last evening I noticed that Reyna was not holding her tail the way she normally does and in fact would almost "flag" it the way a female dog in heat does. But, she has not done this in the several years since she's been spayed.

This morning, I noticed her kind of fussing over it. Licking it, chewing it, and she whined at it once. I took a closer look... The skin is a bit pink from her fussing, but what concerns me is that there was a noticeable lump. This lump is above where her glands would be, and somewhat to the right side of the tail. It also feels like it might slightly attach to her body.

I'm considering the possibility, that despite it being above where her tail glands are, it's possibly an allergy. The dogs have been on kibble for a few months now, so it's possible that it's an allergy developing.

I'm just worried about that lump on the side of the tail. Is it possible for a dog to strain a muscle there or otherwise damage it? We have a neighbor dog that Reyna likes to run the fence with and they run HARD, so maybe she whacked something?

Any other ideas?

Also, the lump/lop-sidedness of it is actually visible, at leas to me as someone who knows what she normally looks like. I tried to get a pick this morning but she wasn't too thrilled about me checking that area out.
[notify]
Savannah (In- Memory)

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 6:03am PST 
There are so many possibilities of what it could be: an insect bite, a splinter, an animal bite or scratch, a foxtail, beginning of an abcess, localized allergic reaction, possibly the anal gland even though it is above that area, and so on. If it were me I would keep an eye on it and hope that it subsides in the next day or so, if not a vet check would be in order. A photo would be helpful, could someone help you with a distraction while you take one?
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 8:19am PST 
Possibly cold tail/limp tail? I have seen it a few times where the base of their tail does swell on the sides alittle. I know it can be pretty painful and cause the dog a lot of discomfort.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 11:53pm PST 
It can really be anything. If you do have a picture, please post it here so we can take a look. It can be a problem with your dog's tail glands but it could also be a problem with her anal glands. We can only imagine for now, though.
[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 12:39pm PST 
I think a vet visit is in order.
[notify]