GO!

Small white thing sticking out of shoulder

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 6:27pm PST 
Hi all,

I found a small white thing sticking out of Chewy's shoulder while i was petting him. Its pretty small, and almost shaped like a tube and it feels rubbery. Does anyone know what it could be?

I also found another lump on the same shoulder, and it's about the size of a pea and has a white spot on it as if it could be another one coming in?

We are taking him to the vet tomorrow, but I'm curious to see what anyone thinks.

I can try to get a picture of it if that would help.

Thanks
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 7:00pm PST 
fly larvae?? I don't know where you live if that's a possibility. If you want to be grossed out, google "bot fly larvae"
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 7:16pm PST 
It sounds like bot fly larvae... silenced Hopefully it's not. That's my worst nightmare... Definitely worth a vet check.
[notify]

Chewy

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 8:45pm PST 
Thanks for the responses. I posted a picture on his profile but it is blurry.

What can happen if its a fly larvae? Will it just need to be removed, or could there be more??

It doesn't really look like the pictures I'm seeing on the internet. There is also some of his fur coming out of the center.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 3:35am PST 
If it is a fly larva, it just needs to be removed. We had some stray kittens once. For some strange reason, I wasn't allowed to get near them shrug anyway, they had what my person thought were abscesses that turned out to be large fly larva. The vet removed them, showed them to my person, he said grossing out people with fly larva was a sworn duty of all vets.

Once out, the wounds healed and the kitties were fine. (I still don't understand why I can't get near them, "Cats are fun when they run, and more fun when I catch and shake them"

Anyway, your white thing may be a fly larva or something else, but I agree that a vet visit is a good idea.

Please let us know how it goes. dog walk
[notify]
Savannah (In- Memory)

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 6:10am PST 
Another possibility, is Chewy microchipped? Because it is not unheard of for a microchip to migrate or even work it's way out of the skin, and they are small rice-like objects. Doesn't really explain the second lump, though. Keep us posted.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 11:15am PST 
Could be a sebaceous cyst that is "evacuating."

http://24kgsd.com/blog/2011/06/13/sebaceous-cyst/

(remove any spaces if they appear in the link)
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 4:17pm PST 
I'm also wondering now if it's a cyst working its way out. My Aussie, Lizzie, had one of those last summer finally come out. The "seed" or whatever of the cyst was kind of off-white and rubbery. She had had drainage at that spot for years. I even had the vet try to open it and get everything out. After the little ball thing came out this summer, it totally healed up and there's been no more junk coming out of that hole.

What did the vet have to say?
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 4:54pm PST 
The picture was blurry, like you said, but it could be a skin tag, wart, or mole. My older min pin x (has cocker in her) has a lot of them. The older she gets the more start to appear.

Edited by author Fri Feb 8, '13 4:54pm PST

[notify]
Chewy

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 8:35pm PST 
Thanks for all of the responses.

We weren't able to take him today. My mom had a busy schedule and our vet wasn't in today either so we are going to bring him in sometime next week.

I looked at pictures of some of the possibilities and a few pictures looked like what he has. The skin tag and a wart, or maybe a cyst. I was looking at pictures of fly larvae in dogs and none of them really looked like it at all.

I'll be sure to let you all know what the vet says. I'll see if I can get a better picture as well.
[notify]