GO!

Can arthritis get worse in certain seasons?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 2:15pm PST 
Well its full blown winter here in Michigan and its pretty cold outside. Kashmir has been having trouble getting up and today she fell chasing her ball in the house. Could her arthritis be getting worse since its winter? She currently gets a daily supplement of 1500 mgs of glucosamine with 1500 mgs of MSM. She has to get her boosters from the vet soon and i am going to tell them about her fall, but is there anything else i am missing for her?shrug
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 7:11am PST 
I would certainly think arthritis symptoms can get worse for our pups in different seasons. I know as a person who suffers from it,the weather affects how I feel as far as both pain and mobility. I would imagine it is the same for Kashmir. It sounds like you have been doing an excellent job in trying to control further damage and make her as comfortable as possible in general. My only suggestion aside from what you are already doing would be to do some research on some pain reliever/anti-inflammatories suitable for occasional use when her pain and her ability to get around seem to be giving her a problem,then discuss the ones you feel pose the least risk/best benefit with your vet. All of them carry risks,the trick is finding the one that is likely to pose the least risk to Kashmir while giving her the most relief when she needs it. You will also need to be very observant of any changes in her with every dose you give.hugwishes
[notify]
Dunkin

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 4:54pm PST 
I know I hurt more and am nit as flexible in the wintet time and days it is damp out. So yes, it can be much worse in winter
[notify]

Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 3:19pm PST 
I recently came back from Michigan. And yeah, it's pretty cold there right now.

Chance and Lilo both had arthritis in their old age. Winters were especially hard for them. They weren't nearly as mobile during the winter as they were during the spring/summer/fall. And that's down here in North Carolina, where our "cold" days are in the 30's or 40's. My mother, also, has arthritis and has more pains from it during the colder months.

It sounds like you're doing good making your dog as comfortable as possible, though. smile Well wishes to her. hug Has she seen the vet yet? How did it go?

Edited by author Sun Feb 10, '13 3:20pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 11:24pm PST 
In extremely wet and cold weather, keep your elderly and arthritic dog inside. If this isn't possible, outfit his dog house so that he is warm and comfortable and keeps dry.

You should tell your vet everything about the fall. Like, how that exactly happened, maybe even what position she was in when she fell, how she acted after that and what changes you saw in your dog. So far, you've been doing well for your dog, but I really urge you to go to the vet asap.
[notify]
River Dancer

Born to Wiggle

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 5:51pm PST 
Our Dolly had arthritis and it was harder on her when it was cold or damp. We used to increase her glucosamine/chondroitin during the winter but I would check with the vet first. A bed that is slightly elevated off the floor can help or one that is very thick. Good luck.
[notify]