GO!

Epulis?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Belgian

I am the- Chocolate boy!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 2:22am PST 
Has anybody had any experience with this? Belgian has a growth under his front tooth and we are talking to several doctors about what it is. I just got my first reply today and the vet believes it may be an epulis and assured me that it is a very safe and easy procedure to have done to remove it.

He recommends that we do a "owner hold" sedation anesthesia dental with growth removal. I don't really know what the "owner hold" means though. Belgian has severe anxiety when at the vets due to a bad experience when he had his last surgery. He is 10 years old and will be turning 11 in July. This growth only really started bugging him two days ago when he was eating a treat. Other then that he still eats his regular meals normal, drinks water the same, plays with his toys, etc. with no problem. He has had a reaction to his neuter that was done when he was 5 years old but this reaction could have also been a result of the vet not doing the surgery appropriately.

So for you that have experience with it, should I have it removed? Because he is an older dog and has had issues before, I am just very nervous over putting him on a surgery table. Because right now, money is also being watched tightly, what is the cost that I should prepare for to have it removed? Am I worried over nothing? I am just worried that something will happen or that I am going to be stressing Belgian out even more over nothing especially since we are not using his current vet anymore. Belgian has just started to be more calm at the vet's office and after our last experience, I just am very weary over who I trust with my boy especially now that he is up there in age.

He has been relatively healthy his whole life other then a few things here and there.

Edited by author Fri Feb 1, '13 2:29am PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 4:46am PST 
At least at our vet clinic, owner hold means he will be just sedated lightly and you will be holding/comforting him while they work. It's a pretty good option for stuff like this.
[notify]
Belgian

I am the- Chocolate boy!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 1:09pm PST 
Thanks Toto! Is this option also more cost efficient? When dealing with a dog who has anxiety issues with the vet, is this still the best option? Or is he sedated enough where those issues won't be too much of a concern?

Sorry for the questions. I just am really trying to figure out as much as I can. smile
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 3:11pm PST 
As long as YOU are comfortable and not freaked out, it IS the best option for him. He will most likely be pretty well sedated, but it is sedation and not anesthesia, therefore, IS cheaper. If YOU are a nervous wreak, it will be harder on him, but if you can relax he will be much, much better and have way less after effects from anesthesia.
I would absolutely opt for that if it were my dog!
Actually, my vet and I have done quite a bit of different minor surgeries to my dogs with just sedation... they are happier and so am I!!
My lab puppy Quincy was a blood donor yesterday with just very light sedation and he did great... he was able to eat and walk home with no problems, even was in an obedience class later in the afternoon, wide awake and normal. He's a pretty wound up 6 month old "normal" lab puppy so you can imagine lying still on a surgical table while the blood is drawn can be pretty difficult. He did GREAT with just some torbulgesic!
[notify]