GO!

OFA or PennHIP?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 10:12am PST 
When Onyx turns two, I'm planning to have his hips x-rayed. I don't suspect any real issues, haven't seen any symptoms that would indicate there's a problem, it's mostly just for my own knowledge. I'm curious to know the differences between OFA and PennHIP, and if one is preferable to the other in this situation. I've been planning to go with OFA, but figured I'd ask before I spend the money just in case.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 5:50pm PST 
Bump blue dog
[notify]
Rain

Future agility- star!

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 9:17pm PST 
I plan on doing the same thing with Rain. I'm curious to see some answers too big grin
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 6:18am PST 
Well, I actually prefer x-rays (OFA), only because anyone can SEE the issues with an x-ray. However, positioning and degree of sedation can certainly make a huge difference in the whole picture so it pays to get them done with a really experienced vet.
Penn Hip is more subjective, IMO. Lots of what is being felt can be interpreted differently by different vets...you can't actually see what is there.
IMO, HD is much, much more than laxity of the femur head... you can have nice, tight femur heads with major arthritis which will make the Penn Hip not so much of a good thing. Case in point...French Bulldogs. They have such extreme muscle mass that their hips are always tight! I had one who was extremely tight and the vet said they would be perfect...x-rays showed the femur heads weren't even IN the sockets!! OFA graded severe.
Ideally... both, but using only one I would chose OFA. If you have an experienced vet and you are not doing the hips for breeding considerations, you can have the x-rays done and have your own vet read them and not send them to OFA.
[notify]
Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 7:35am PST 
Toto, while I see what you are saying about PennHIP being totally numerical and not taking into account the shallowness of the socket, it is calculated using a series of three xrays, one of which is identical to the OFA xray. I believe I have heard that it doesn't cost that much extra to just send that one off to OFA for a double reading.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 9:38am PST 
So if I did PennHIP, I could have the x-rays also sent to the OFA and get both that way?
[notify]
Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 11:58am PST 
The extended view should be the same, from what I have heard.
You'd have to talk to your vet about what they'd charge if you decided to send out both.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 8:46am PST 
I don't know, I'm not totally inclined to believe that PennHip is the more subjective of the two.

Have you considered sending them off to the SV to be graded? I know some breeders have moved to this, after numerous questionable grades from the OFA. You could probably contact Jill and ask her more about that, see what she thinks.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 1:53pm PST 
I hadn't really considered the SV. I guess I thought that was only done in Germany, but I suppose even if it were, it's not like it's hard to send a digital x-ray. I'll look into that as another option and see what Jill has to say about it.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 4:53pm PST 
Its something Jean mentioned for Ridley. Not sure if I'm going to do it or not, I'm leaning towards Pennhip myself, but we'll see. You get a less detailed grade, but they ONLY deal with GSDs, so I guess I can see why one would be more inclined to trust their judgement.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2