GO!

Side effects of medication

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 6:29am PST 
When Ace (female) and Kale (male) met, they hit it off right away. There was never any aggression between them, no play that escalated beyond where it should, no blood ever spilled. She was under a year old and very energetic, he was a much calmer 5 year old. And she's an obnoxious little thief when it comes to toys and treats and chews.

Because of weight gain and general laziness, we had Kale's thyroid levels checked, they were low as I suspected, and we put him on thyroid pills. He has continued to be okay with Ace.

But along comes Teeko, another male. Ace and Teeko, love at first sight. Kale however, has pinned and made Teeko scream more than once frown I know it could be a SSA thing, but Kale has never shown any aggression toward males at the dog park or while on walks. I'm wondering if anyone has ever given their dog thyroid meds and had it result in less tolerance for other dogs?

On another note, Teeko needed treatment for hookworms. He's been a little nauseous since then. I could have been trying to fatten the boy up too fast, but I'm curious whether a little nausea is a side effect of deworming meds.

(For anyone who missed it, Teeko was a neighborhood stray I ended up taking in, at least for the time being. I may or may not have to re-home him (not because of Kale, because he's leaving in a couple of months, but because of my husband). In the meantime, I want to get him in better health ad get a better read on his true self before I place him anywhere. Huskies are a handful).
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 6:31am PST 
There is no way, no how I would expect two male huskies to get along in the same home! It is extremely unlikely that thyroid medication has anything to do with any of this, you have brought another male into HIS house and he naturally doesn't want him there.
Getting along with other male dogs at a dog park is not at all the same thing as having another male living in his home with him.
I would certainly NOT leave them together ever without direct supervision, and would be extremely careful when resources such as toys, bones, or food are involved, as this is likely to escalate, not go away.
[notify]
Ace

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 2:18pm PST 
I would've thought any SSA issues would be alleviated a little by the fact they're both fixed. But obviously, whether it's SSA or the thyroid meds causing more possessiveness of the home turf, I'm not leaving them alone together. If Kale weren't moving out in the couple of months, I'd be more inclined to re-home Teeko sooner, but I want to see Teeko putting on weight, and see his real personality before I try to place him elsewhere. But I really don't want to place him elsewhere, sooo...

Teeko's nausea went away quickly, and he's back to eating enough to hopefully put some weight on.

Mainly just curious because Kale is such a super mellow dog most of the time. Way more than typical for huskies.
[notify]

Seth

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 9:35am PST 
I had a collie mix that was on the meds for over 10 years, and I never saw that he had any side effects from them. The only thing I ever thought was funny was that I was able to get the dogs meds at my local drug store. And they always put a sticker on it, he was not able to drive large equipment while taking these.
[notify]
Ace

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 5:18pm PST 
Well, you know they ARE teaching dogs to drive laugh out loud
[notify]
Ace

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 5:43pm PST 
Kale is getting better with Teeko. I watch closely when they're engaged in play to make sure nothing escalates, but it's been fine lately. Kale is moving out in a couple of months anyway, but it'll be a little less tense with them getting along better.

I think Teeko's putting on a bit of weight, too! He's a very sweet dog, even approached by small children at Petco.
[notify]