GO!

Increased drinking & urination?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kally

I caught a- squirrel once...

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 6:42am PST 
(UPDATED - PLEASE SEE MY RESPONSE ON 1/23!! thank you) smile

Hi all!

I'm wondering what your thoughts are about Kally's increased drinking of water and urination. We have just started to notice this within the past week - at first she was drinking from her water bowl and my husband and I both commented that it seemed she was drinking for a long time. We didn't think too much of it at the time.

Two times within this past week she has woken me up at night to take her out - she NEVER does this - maybe one time in her life. Well, really the first time was at 5:45am and I usually get up at 5:30 or 6:00 depending on the day so that wasn't too unusual. Last night she woke me up at 3:30am whining to go out. When I took her out she did urinate.

I have read the symptoms of diabetes and she has not lost any weight. She was at the vet last week and has not lost any - maybe even gained a little. By our best estimates she is at least 10 years old. She has had the same energy level this past week, seems to be feeling well, hyper, wants her normal walks and exercise. Her appetite is the same, or may have slightly increased. I guess I'm wondering if this could be a sign of her increasing age - just can't hold her urine quite as long or maybe just doesn't want to? smile

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should keep an eye on it for another week or so or if this is something I should get checked right away. Thanks for reading this and thanks for any advice! smile

Edited by author Wed Jan 23, '13 4:44pm PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 8:42am PST 
Those are also signs of a Urinary tract infection. I would collect a urine sample and bring it to the vet for a look see. She may need antibiotics to clear it up.
[notify]
Kally

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 8:50am PST 
Oh! Thank you! This may be a stupid question -- what's the best way to collect a urine sample!? smile
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 10:07am PST 
Clean soup ladle OR pie plate... let her start, then slide it under to collect as much as you can. Put in clean container and cover, I use empty, washed prescription bottles, (write her name on it!) refrigerate if it's going to be any length of time before you drop it off. Be quiet and sneaky following her to do the collection, many dogs, Toto included, will not pee if anyone is near him, He has to have his collected with a cathater, which is more expensive, of course!!
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 11:12am PST 
Kally, mom used a small glad ware tupper container. She found that easier. Just do it the day of your appt. Just know your mom or dad is gonna sneak up on ya....stealthy like. laugh out loud The fact that you are a girl makes it easier too!

I agree you should take a sample with you because guaranteed they will want a sample. They may do bloodwork too to see if anything else is off.

It could be a UTI, but it can be signs of a few other things too. Good luck to you! way to gohug

Edited by author Thu Jan 17, '13 11:16am PST

[notify]
Kally

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 2:06pm PST 
haha! Thanks for the tips - I will be surprised if Kally lets me do this but I will give it a try wink

I'm still debating on watching her for another few days. Sometimes I tend to be a little overprotective and think the worst -- she may not even really be drinking that much more. With the three day weekend, I should be home most of the days and can monitor her. If nothing is medically wrong, could it just be a sign of aging? Would she be acting lethargic if something were medically wrong?
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 2:12pm PST 
Chance's signs of UTI have only been increased thirst and urination. I would get a sample and take it in. If it is a UTI, the longer the wait, the worse it is for the dog.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 2:25pm PST 
The ONLY sign Toto has when he has a UTI is peeing only once, right in the middle of my bed. Nothing else, and he has had more than 12 UTI's in the last two years.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 4:19am PST 
Just know you know your dog. I do think your instincts are right. I also know that we sometimes drink more in the winter if the house is heated and dry. BUT you also said you noticed things she never does.

Something else I thought of...my 9 year beagle (at the time) started drinking more water. The vet checked her urine and bloodwork...both were normal. The vet asked me how much does she drink. Honestly, I couldn't tell him so he asked me to measure it. So, after giving her water and measuring it, I realized she was still drinking within "normal" limits. So, even though she was drinking more, it was still considered normal mounts.

From a dogster article: On the average, a healthy dog drinks about 1/2 to 1 ounce of water per pound of body weight per day.

Just a thought for you too....just trust your gut...she's 10 so it could be other stuff too. Good luck and I hope it's nothing! hug
[notify]
Angel Zane

I Miss You- *2005-2013*

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 10:00pm PST 
Increased drinking and peeing could also indicate kidney problems. I have been battling a weird kidney problem called glomerular disease where I'm losing protein through my urine.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2