GO!

To switch or not to switch

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Princess- Shadow

Adopted dogs are- the BEST kind!

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 9:12am PST 
We've recently moved from the midwest down to the south. We have had our share of finding the right vet for me to go to for regular check-ups as well as health issues that may arise. We've thankfully settled on one that both Mommy and I feel comfortable going to. However as my flea and heartworm meds are getting low we inquired about their prices for these. Yet again Mommy was told to switch me to another flea and heartworm preventive.

I currently have Frontline Plus and Heartguard that I use but they want Mommy to put me on Advantage Multi. We aren't really sure that we need to switch but since our new vet whom we like very much uses it and "swears by it" we are thinking maybe a switch is in order.

Not to mention Mommy realizes that the climate is much different here and the threat of fleas and such is much higher. I already had my first bout with getting worms and I've NEVER had them before! That is no good.

So what Mommy and I are hoping you fellow dog lovers could do is share your 2-cents with this product and if you think we should switch.

Sincerely appreciative-
Princess Shadow dog
[notify]
Kally

I caught a- squirrel once...

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 2:05pm PST 
Hey there! I don't know where in the South you moved, but we live in Texas. We use Frontline Plus and Heartgard and have for years and both have worked well for us. I guess I would ask your vet WHY they want you to switch, besides them "swearing by it." If you haven't had any problems with the ones you are using and they have been effective, I personally wouldn't switch but that's just me. If for some reason you feel they are becoming less effective, then you could try theirs. I'm wondering if there is a big price difference for them somehow? Or they may just genuinely feel it's a good product. I guess I would want to know more of why!
[notify]
Madison- Ainsley

I- ammmmm....Hoooow- ie Girl!

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 8:51pm PST 
Did they give you a reason for wanting to switch your pup from something that has been working for him? Is this because they do not stock the brand that you choose to use? IMHO if your meds are working why switch? You are not required to switch just because your vet carrys something different. We cannot carry all flea treatments or all heartworm treatments but we do not ask them to switch unless they are not happy with their choice.
To me if it works why switch.dog
[notify]

Princess- Shadow

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 9:01am PST 
Well it was sometime the other week that they had suggested this to me so I forget EXACTLY what was said. What it seems like is they feel since the fleas, ticks, and such are around for so much longer and are at an "epidemic level" that it would be "better" for her to have the Advantage Multi.
The packages they sell of what Shadow takes now is in smaller quantities and it would be cheaper to buy the new stuff. We aren't sure if switching to this new stuff will be better for her but it covers more issues that may occur.

We have only run into 1 bout of tapeworm (which she's NEVER had before we moved) and then this issue with Girardia and Clostridium.

I'm almost feeling it's better to be safe than sorry and give her that added protection..

snoopy
[notify]
Dunkin

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 9:15am PST 
If you do not want to switch, have him give you a prescription for them, and go online and order them. Many times it is cheaper to do that anyway.
[notify]
LINUS

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 12:22pm PST 
If you think ticks are an issue, Advantage Multi does NOT protect against ticks.
[notify]
Princess- Shadow

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 8:50am PST 
That I won't be doing although it MAY BE cheaper to purchase online the companies that make these medicines do not cover their guarantee if you aren't purchasing your meds directly from your vet. ((If you want more info on this shoot me a message))

Also I am aware that it doesn't prevent ticks thanks though.

It looks like we are going to stick with what we know and what works instead of rocking the boat. If we do develop more of a chronic issue with the other things like the worms then we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Thanks guys!-
Princess Shadow and fam

dog
[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 9:50am PST 
Actually saying medications are only covered if bought at the vet's info is wrong. 1800petmeds.com has a guarantee

1800-petmeds heartworm guarantee

We've ordered from them for years and have never had a problem.
[notify]
Bridgit

don't hate me- because I'm- beautiful

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 2:25pm PST 
Advantage Multi is quite a good product, and the protection of a multi dewormer is really great. The vet probably just wanted the safety of one multi purpose medication, but use what you're comfortable using. I've used adv. multi since sentinel has been off the market, and it works well.
[notify]