GO!

Question about joint suppliments

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 9:38am PST 
Do they really help? If I start giving them to my dogs, will it help prevent joint and hip problems?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 11:00am PST 
Well on the supplement Sassy could jump on the 20" tall window seat when she was 16 years old and off it she couldn't. When I put her on at 8 years old her times in agility improved.

I don't know if the joints moved freer or she was in less pain but they helped her.

Max is happier on them. I cannot see that he jumps up better but I will take happy. And he doesn't like them, I have to grind them up and sprinkle on his food or pill him.

For my dogs a supplement with glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM works best. I actually threw away a supplement lacking MSM, I could tell it wasn't helping at all after a week or so.
[notify]
Princess- Shadow

Adopted dogs are- the BEST kind!

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 9:45am PST 
Before I say much is there a specific reason you feel you need to start providing a supplement to them?
[notify]

The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 10:32am PST 
I heard that you should start them sooner rather than later. If you wait till there is already problems then it is to late.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 6:37am PST 
Princess-Shadow, The reason I'm asking is because Ringo is pure lab and Huck is Lab/rottie and both breeds are prone to hip dysplasia. Plus Huck is overweight, 130 lbs, so there's alot of weight on his legs right now. Ringo is very active. He has already hurt his leg by the way he landed playing frizbee. My husbands boss has 2 chocolate labs and both had several operations costing $3000 each for joint problems. So, I was wondering, if joint suppliments really work, maybe I should get the boys started on them.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 7:27am PST 
If you want to know for sure have the hips checked!

I would put the dogs on joint supplements no matter what. Observe after a month or so and if no improvement get a different kind after the supply runs out. If you go through 3-4 supplements with no change then might consider dropping it but I suspect you will notice something changing. Changes can be subtle as I mentioned. Perhaps easier jumping in and out of cars would be something to look for.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 7:59am PST 
Right now I see no problem with either dog doing anything, so it would really be hard for me to tell if the suppliments would be working or not. They get a thorough check up every year and the vet checks the hips and legs. So far no problems. I was just wondering if it would help prevent future problems.
[notify]
Star

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 10:23am PST 
I used the greenies joint care for my old boy when he was starting to have problems with his joints. I know they are a bit expensive, but they really helped my old guy get around much better. Also, he loved them as a treat. He was on them for the last couple of years until he passed.
[notify]