GO!

FHO surgery

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Bacio

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 5:30pm PST 
Hello everyone! Bacio goes in for surgery at the end of the week. I'm totally nervous, excited, scare, and happy at the same time. Can anyone give me some tips, or let me know what to expect in the days following the procedure? He's about 65lbs, and I made a little video of his "before" walk and run. http://youtu.be/uzgaCtaDWd4 I have a picture of his X-ray up on my site. If anyone is interested in that, I can find the link for you.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 3:34am PST 
hug Good luckwishes
[notify]
Lilly CD CDX- JD JDX AD

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 11:27am PST 
Hey Bacio good luck smile, just wondering if you noticed any other symptoms to i.e sloppy sit cracking joints etc. In the vid he doesnt look like hes bunny hopping extreme as in certain parts i can still see his feet doing the one two pattern. I have a ten month old border collie whom im slightly worried about doesnt bunny hop etc but it does look like her hips go side to side a bit but then again at a walk dogs do move their hips a bit anyway so im probably being paranoid and sometimes i think i hear a lil crack every now and again but cant pinpoint exactly. confused
[notify]

Bacio

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 2:05pm PST 
Honestly, I never even thought he had a problem until I read the book The Art of Racing in the Rain. He bunny hops up stairs and relies heavily on his front end to pull him up on to the couch and bed. When he shakes you hear his hips pop. He never showed signs of pain, so I really didn't know how bad it was. I had taken him to a vet at a year old, and they recommended surgery then, but THR on both sides ($8800), which I could not afford at the time (or now to be totally honest). Because he still played with Yuki, and ran around all the time, I let him be. It wasn't until this past year when he started stumbling and falling that I started to worry. Then he wouldn't sleep through the nights because of pain. Honestly, when the vets saw his Xray they are shocked that he still gets around like he does. I keep him on Blue Buffalo whitefish food and Synflex for pets... so maybe that is really helping.

His xray can be seen at the bottom of this page:
http://www.my2whitedogs.com/blog/bacios-hips-part-1/

If anyone has any experience with the recovery I'd really like to hear what I can do to for him to allow him to heal up and be well in the best ways.
[notify]
Harvey

Design jewelry,- not dogs!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 3:31pm PST 
Have experience with two... one is my Chinese Crested, who, admittedly, is a small dog at only 12 lbs. He had LCPD, which basically eats away the femur head and is also extremely painful.
His surgery went very well, recovery was totally uneventful and you could not tell he has had anything done except he can't jump up onto furniture, etc. Otherwise, he is active and athletic. I am posting as him so you can check out his photos.
The other was a young lab, 1.5 years old, who was hit by a car and had her femoral heads shattered. She was owned by a human orthopaedic surgeon, so he insisted on the surgery and actually assisted the vet who performed it. She had both done at once, recovery was lengthy, but when I saw her at 3 years old, I could not tell she had ANY surgery, much less BOTH femur heads removed! She lived to be 12 or 13, normal lab age, with NO hip issues her whole life.
Good luck!!!
[notify]
Bacio

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 9:08pm PST 
Thanks! Was the lab able to jump around after the procedure? I'm not expecting agility out of Bacio after this, but I didn't think he'd lose his ability to jump on and off the couch....
[notify]
Harvey

Design jewelry,- not dogs!

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 5:10am PST 
Yes, she could do jumps like on and off the furniture, in fact, she did some jogging with her owner to help keep her in shape.
[notify]
Bacio

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 4:31pm PST 
That's a relief! I just want my boy to be able to play with my husky and not go find somewhere to lay down while she runs circles around him...
[notify]
Bacio

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 10:42pm PST 
Just wanted to update everyone, I'm 3 weeks into my recovery! My leg is very wobbly an my human freaks out about everything I do. We're going to start looking for hydrotherapy or physical therapy so I can get better faster! If anyone has advice I'm still all ears.
[notify]
Bacio

Barked: Mon Oct 28, '13 2:43pm PST 
Hey guys! My first FHO surgery came and went. There were many ups and downs in my recovery. I slipped and fell on the stairs my first time back at home, and while I wasn't injured, it scared me so bad I didn't want to walk anymore. My mom signed me up for hydro therapy and it helped so much! This past Friday I went in for my second FHO surgery. I don't know if it hurts more or if I just don't want to deal with this long recovery, but walking it tough! After this though I'll be able to keep up with my fur sister Yuki and not have to stop because my hips hurt!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3