GO!

Dermaxx!!! No!! Whatever you do, do not give it to them!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 3:49am PST 
A little background: I had a 3 year old Boxer/Mastiff mix. His name was Jack, he wasn't just my dog he was part of the family. I didn't see him as a dog, but a human like myself. I loved him as much as you can love any human. My family had saved him as a puppy from an abusive family. He was malnourished (5-7lbs underweight) and he had demodicosis mange. We nursed him back to health and he was a vibrant, full of energy dog! When he loved someone, he loved them!

Because of his hard upbringing he developed early onset hip dysplasia. Then we were prescribed Deramaxx. The doctor wanted to see how he was on that before we did the surgery. Well, a week into it was all it had to take to poison him. Yesterday he was vomiting so much, that I had to keep a plastic bag right by him and just hold him. Then, we had to carry him outside to use the washroom because he couldn't get up, then he couldn't unrinate. We took him to the emergency room when we took his temperature and it was below 96 degrees. When we brought him in he was suffering from shock.

At 3:30am, today he had passed away due to intestinal ulcers that became infected and he went in to septic shock. The doctor said it was because of the Deramaxx, it ate away at his stomach lining.

As I am writing this post in tears, I beg and plead with dog owners do not give your dog Dermaxx, please seek other methods. No dog owner should go through this. He was only 3 years old, and this "medicine" ravaged him.

Jack was an amazing dog, with the personality of a person. I will love and miss him.

Edited by author Mon Jan 14, '13 4:05am PST

[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 4:07am PST 
I am so sorry for your loss cry Thank you for the warning. It's such a horrible way to learn it though hug
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 5:10am PST 
Oh my goodness!! That is so tragic, thank you for the warning, but as Dreamy said what a horrible way to find out. Our hearts and thoughts are with you and Jack. I am so so sorry for your loss. hughughughughug
[notify]

Billy

Born to- Arrrrroooooooo!

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 5:23am PST 
I am just sooooo sorry. That is very scary. I took deramaxx when I was having problems with my knee...it definitely made it feel better, but I did have a few friends say I shouldn't take it so I only took it for a couple of weeks and that's it. Your post reminds me not to use it on my pets frown

hughughughughughughughughughug

Edited by author Mon Jan 14, '13 5:30am PST

[notify]

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 5:49am PST 
Thank you guys very much. I am just trying to spread the warning around about this drug. We didn't find out till the last minute. Because he didn't show signs, until it was too late and the damange was so bad.

Edited by author Mon Jan 14, '13 5:58am PST

[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 6:10am PST 
Well you know what is scary...if you just google dermaxx warnings, you get several hits. frown
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 6:20am PST 
I am very sorry for your loss. You must be devastated.hughughughughughugto you in this time of grief.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 6:39am PST 
While this may seem like a very bad time and to some somewhat tasteless to bring it up,this experience is exactly why I am bringing it up,we as pet owners and parents and their only voice have a responsibility to them to be aware of the risks and benefits of any medication or treatment we choose for them. I know in a perfect world we could simply take our vets word that all will be well. Statistically,that is typically the case,unless your pet is that one negative statistic. It is our job as our pets advocate and voice to research and be aware of potential risks and side effects of any medication we are considering for our pets BEFORE the first dose,as well as the benefits,other options,safer altenatives,other treatments or drugs,although this poor dogs reaction to DERMAXX is tragic it did not have to be. Had the owner researched the drug before it was given and known the potential risks,they might never have given it and may have found an option that was just as effective but much safer,and for every pet that does have a bad reaction there are likely many that are living a much better quality of life than they otherwise could have without it having tried other options without sucess,so it is up to us as our pets advocates and voice to educate ourselves and explore all of our options with the vet to find what is best in our individual case rather than simply taking the first drug offered and giving it to our pet without question then blaming the drug when something goes wrong. While it is possible that this is a bad drug being informed and making an informed responsible decision is still the best thing we can to to try to insure our pets health and safety.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 7:07am PST 
Thank you very much, and yes you are absolutely right. I have been kicking myself in the a** all night and day for not researching it, to the point it's made me sick. When the ER doc told me what it was from, I just wanted to heave. The ER doc asked us, if the vet took Jack's blood to see if he was even able to take it, and no the vet didn't take his blood, which would've indicated he couldn't take the medication. This has been one of the hardest 24 hours I had to deal with in a long time. So I understand my part in this and it sickens me, because I loved this dog so much and I always tried to make sure he was well and living healthy.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 8:19am PST 
Jack's Mom,
I am truly deeply sorry for your loss,and you have my sincerest and deepest sympathies. I do want you to know that my second post was not specifically aimed at you. If you go into the archives of the health thread there are many people who post about what a certain drug has done to their pet. I have used a number of them and while not overly fond of the potential risks and side effects,they were in my pets case the best option at the time. I however did look into them and explore options before deciding to use them and still crossed my fingers and did alot of praying. I as a person am currently on a drug that has numerous side effects and risks that I am far from fond of but have reached a point where my migraine headaches have become a major disruption in my life,have explored and discussed all of the options with my doctor,and unfortunately this medication is the one that carries the least risk to my general health,which isn't saying much for it. It has over 400 potential side effects,a two month adjustment period,and can cause several long term problems but for now it is far better than daily or near daily migraines that may not respond to treatment which is why I have made the choice to try it again after having a very bad experience with it 8 years ago. For me the benefit I know I will get outweighs the potential risks I may have. Please do not beat yourself up over this. I know you are heartsick and you want to blame something or someone including yourself,but please take this only as a lesson learned,forgive yourself,and have some peace in the knowledge that you will never let it happen again. hughughughughugto you.

little angelrainbow "Fly Free Jack" rainbowlittle angel "Fair winds and calms seas Sweet boy."
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2