GO!

Sedative side effects

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 5:07pm PST 
We've been having heat wave temperatures, reaching 45 degrees Celsius on some days. In prior years I've had Dunlop's coat sheared off at the vets under a sedative. Up until now all has gone well but this time he's acting different.

He's sooky, looking for attention, not letting people out of his sight, eating normally but not drinking as much as I would like (it's hot, last night at it's coolest, got to 30 degrees) He's clumsier than he was before and not as active.

The receipt says that they used " Domitor / Torb", there is no dosage given.

Any ideas?

Are these normal side effects?
[notify]
Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 7:02pm PST 
It's been three days since. Forgot to mention that.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 4:11am PST 
I believe domitor is an analogue of xylazine, and the side effects you describe are pretty standard. It is an agonist of the andregernic receptor of the brain with governs fight or flight response and lowers blood pressure. Dunlop should be fine but if you are worried call the vet.

It's been just so horribly hot, JT has been very lethargic, so that might not be helping.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 5:09am PST 
Torbitrol is also an opiate used mainly for pain control and also results in confusion and lethargy for several days.
Why in the world did they use these drugs for a grooming??? Especially the ones for pain control?? As a groomer, we groom BC's all the time and none have experienced pain, especially enough pain to require opiates.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 7:30pm PST 
Thanks Toto, I didn't know what the sale name Torbritol (or just torb as it was written) was. Why on earth would a groomer give a dog buturphanol? Geez it seems a bit excessive!

Be careful of constipation seeming he's had an opiod, make sure he drinks lots of water, give him broth if need be.

I don't think I would be going to that groomer again.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 6:59am PST 
Dunlop you might want to call your vet and let them know of Dunlops reaction so that should you choose to have them shave him again they use something else to sedate him,he certainly should not still be this out of it after several days.hugwishes
[notify]