GO!

Diarrhea

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 6:45pm PST 
That's interesting about NV Salmon in regards to your dog Kloppers. I'm beginning to believe it's the food that's causing this for Moose. I'll start looking into a new brand.

I don't think Moose has stopped growing. Since early October he went from 140 to today 150. He's tall and lean. His chest still needs filling out and his head should get bigger. Time will tell. He 15 months old today.

And he is one active boy. Jeez oh pete. We just got back from the beach and he did a solid hour of serious running, playing chase with his Vizsla buddy, and then, more chase with a bigger dog for 15 more minutes and when we got home he wanted to play tug with me. I swear, somethimes I think he's a lab in a Saints body.

Thanks for the tips.
[notify]
Precious- Pearl

PROUD TO BE- PRETTY

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 2:47am PST 
if i am not mistaken that one nv salmon has cottage cheese that could be the problem.are you eating the prarie or grain free just checked the prairie has the cottage cheese not the grain free

Edited by author Mon Jan 14, '13 2:53am PST

[notify]
Princess- Shadow

Adopted dogs are- the BEST kind!

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 9:41am PST 
How is that Metronidazole working and I didn't notice a mention of what "turned up" as an issue in his stool samples?

What are you thinking of switching him to food wise? My recommendation not that I'm a vet, would be a NB diet because it's limited ingredients so that way if it is in fact food related you can narrow down what his tummy is reacting to.
[notify]

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 12:11pm PST 
NB was what I was going to try.

His stool samples came up negative for anything each time and the metronidazole has not help clear it up. The metronidazole, probiotic, rice and cutting back on his food during each meal has done nothing.

Hopefully NB will give me results.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 4:47pm PST 
Any relationship to when you buy a new bag of food? Same formulas can still have miniscule differences that may affect a sensitive tummy.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 9:11pm PST 
I thought it might be this particular bag of food. I don't know if it would take a week or two for this bag to have caused him to have 4am diarrhea. We were a little less than half way through a 30lb bag when the diarrhea kicked in.
I'm so stumped by this.

His loose stools are only when it's his regular potty times. No emergency potty moments since that first one last Wed.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 5:13am PST 
What about cutting back on the amount or giving multiple, smaller meals throughout the day?
[notify]
Princess- Shadow

Adopted dogs are- the BEST kind!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 8:40am PST 
Yea I would start him on NB Lamb and rice right away and see how that goes. Is he still eating that wet food?
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 9:36am PST 
Moose gets fed 3 times a day (Luckily I can be home in the middle of the day to feed him lunch and get him out for a quick walk). I've thought about breaking it down to 4 meals a day. We'll see how it goes.

I'm almost done switching him from NV to NB and his stools are getting better. Before I started the switch, I cut back on his intake(over a few days) and his stools went from "soft serve" to liquid, which I thought was weird. So I've kind of rushed the switch and we're almost back to where we were before the bought of diarrhea.

Hopefully it gets better still.
[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 9:53am PST 
Fruitables has a new product out called Switch. Its 100% pumpkin. I swear by pumpkin to help diarrhea. You mix 1 tsp in for every 10 lbs of the dogs weight. We just adopted a coonhound mix that had very loose stool. They fed him dog chow and SD. I couldn't bring myself to buy either so I started him on Orijen, which Tessie eats. I also had picked up a few cans of the Switch and he has transitioned over without any loose poops.

Dr Karen Becker has a video on dogs and diarrhea. You can google it. What she has to say is very interesting. She advises gr turkey and pumpkin (no rice) for diarrhea and also gives quite a few explanations of what may cause it.

Good luck!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2