GO!

Parvo, puppies and current dogs...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 2:48pm PST 
I am seriously considering a puppy ( from a reputable breeder smile ) within the next couple of years. As I was considering the routine with 3 dogs, I realized that even if I keep the puppy away from obvious potential parvo sites until it has all his/her vaccines, my other 2 go everywhere. Isn't there a danger of my adult dogs carrying in the virus?thinking
[notify]
Tyson

Where's the- ball!?

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 5:46am PST 
I wouldn't separate the puppy from its mother until its had its first set of shots. To my knowledge parvo is most easily transferred in the feces of birds.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 4:52pm PST 
My knowledge of parvovirus is that it is very easily transmitted, extremely contagious to puppies and immune weakened dogs and very hard to get rid of. I also know through personal experience that a dog that has only had one vaccine for it can catch it. It is a definite risk here to at risk puppies/dogsfrown
[notify]

Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 1:18pm PST 
Bunny, PM Toto. She was a major help when I had to do an assessment on it last year. Parvo can live in dirt and garden soil for many years and humans are one of the biggest transporters of the virus on our shoes.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 1:56pm PST 
Bunny check your area for parvo stats. In a lot of areas it isn't an issue. And in many areas there seem to be definitive outbreak phases. And yes humans are the biggest issue. The virus is highly contagious, and easily spread. Even with 3 puppy shots, and another at 6 months my Dane caught it. It's the only virus I know of that can live over a year outside a host. You can minimize risk by using indoor and outdoor shoes and keeping contact with strange dogs to a minimum. When I have baby pups in the house I do the clean room thing where a bleach solution is used on hands and clothing and shoes are changed before handling them. For older pups just use caution about exposure and be mindful of where your older dogs go as well.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 2:10pm PST 
Dunlop , I know how easily it can be transmitted, thus my concerns smile

Sabi, I have been told that it is an issue here. I have never worried about my adult dogs, but puppies? That's a whole different ball game. Mind you, Bunny never had any shots till I got him and he never got itthinking

Edited by author Sat Jan 12, '13 2:12pm PST

[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 3:56pm PST 
When I had my litter of puppies this summer I made sure I didn't take my dogs to the dog park or pet stores. I did take them on walks in the neighborhood, but my dogs weren't around the puppies until they were about 6 weeks, when I started letting the puppies outside in the yard. I was really careful to take of my shoes and wash my hands before going in with the puppies. If I was around strange dogs, I even changed my clothes.
[notify]