GO!

Update on Kali and her lumps on neck and weight loss.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Kali Neal

Kali-Bug

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 2:26pm PST 
Ok. Kali has been loosing weight, rapidly. She now has freedom to go and do as she pleases out here at my moms. We have acres of pasture and everything. She runs with my Lab, Mouse. Mouse also has lost alot of weight. They both come back infested with ticks. They will roam around the community for days.

Ok, Kali has lost the most amount. I was getting worried. I then noticed lumps on the sides of her neck. Went to the vet to talk to him about it. I mentioned every little detail to him. This is what he said.

It's either her having the freedom, a tick diease called Canine Babesisous*, or diabetes. He told me to focus on her drinking, her stool and urine. He thought tick diease because of the obvious, ticks and where i live. He thought diabetes and to see if she was drinking more than usual.

I was thinking freedom too because she use to be cooped up in a small fenced in backyard. I also was thinking tick diease bc of all the ticks. So i looked up the ticks that cause that diease, they are the same ticks, but they are the ones that arent full of blood. Everytime i get home from work and she's around i get every tick i can find. Or at least try too. I follwed her around one night when she had to go to the bathroom. I checked her stool for worms, negative. Her urine was the bright yellow it needed to be. But, he said it could be hookworms which are the small baby in the stool under the microscope. So that one is still a mystery. But, she has been up to date on all shots, she has finished her round of shots and vaccines. I dont see how she could get any worm.

Ok, this has been going on for weeks. Middle of December.

Now, beginning of Janurary. I have not seen any other weight loss. I've kept her locked up in my room most of the day so she can't run around and roam. She gets to lay around all day and sleep and try to get some fat back on her. I also bought a high protein puppy chow. (vet recommended for a few days)

She still has her muscles and everything she's just skinnier, alot skinnier. It has me worried. But then again it doesn't. If it was a parasite, wouldnt her muscle mass be gone too and it'll look like she's diteriating*?!?!?!

This is my question to you all.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 3:15pm PST 
Is this updated from your last post where you said you couldn’t afford to take Kali to the vet? Has she been in to see the vet?

1. Both dogs need to be prevented from roaming for their health and safety since they “roam around the community for days,” “both come back infested with ticks,” “Kali has been loosing weight, rapidly” and “Mouse also has lost alot of weight.”

2. “Shots and vaccines” do nothing to for parasites. Dewormers and preventatives do that. Many internal parasites cannot be seen with the naked eye.
Fecals are the only way to know for sure and even then an animal with a negative fecal result can still have internal parasites due to the small amount of feces used for the fecal count.

3. Both dogs need to be checked for tick-borne diseases since you say they come back “infested.”
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 6:00pm PST 
My friends 2 year old poodle died from an untreated tick born disease. She knew something was wrong but didn't want to spend the money on the vet for the testing.
A test and some fairly inexpensive antibiotics would have been way cheaper than what it finally cost her in testing and xrays, etc., to find out he was dying and it was too late to save him.
I would get those blood checks for tick disease if I had to sell something or borrow from someone to get the money!!!
[notify]

Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 6:23pm PST 
1- Shots and vaccines do NOTHING to prevent parasites. Any dog can pick up parasites, especially if they are running around in the wild or in public where they come in contact with other dogs' or animals' poop. The only way to keep control of parasites is to give the dog a dewormer or keep them on heartworm prevention like Interceptor, Heartgard Plus, Iverhart Plus, Triheart, etc. The ONLY way to know if your dog has worms is to do a fecal check at the vet. Most worms are microscopic and you can't see them! Dogs don't have to eat poop to get worms, they can get hookworms just from stepping on them! Tapeworms come from fleas or eating other animals.

2-Ticks can be prevented with flea and tick meds like Frontline Plus or
Advantix. If your dog has a lot of ticks, it's very likely that she has a tickborne disease.

I think being loose would cause weightloss, but I don't think it would cause lumps on the neck. That sounds to me like swollen glands, which means there's probably an infection somewhere inside of your dog.

Please stop letting your dogs run loose for days and days. It's not safe for the dogs. I really hope they are spayed so you don't have puppies from all this... Please get your dogs on heartworm meds and flea preventative. You can get it online for pretty cheap!!
[notify]
Kali Neal

Kali-Bug

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 7:58pm PST 
I take very good care of all of my animals. Every animal i have are on heartworm, flea and tick medications. Even my outside cats. All of my animals are up to date on everything. All outside animals wear flea and tick collars (as i can see, don't help very much) My mom is very discouraging bc she thinks nothing is wrong with her. I myself, being her owner and raising her can see and feel that something is wrong. I'm doing all that i know to get her going and keeping a good eye on her until i can get the money to take her in. It's not that i dont want to or anything it's that i cant. I'm very obligated to just take her in and tell them to do w.e and put her up for adoption bc i can't afford to get the tests and medicines she needs.

We have a large amount of area in our backyard that is fenced in. We also have three other bigger dogs, my stepdad will NOT keep the gate closed so they all can stay in. He lets them roam. (as i posted, ive been keeping her in my room throughout the day)
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 8:02pm PST 
Could you look into Care Credit so you can take her to the vet? Maybe you could try an invisible fence across the gate area.
[notify]
Kali Neal

Kali-Bug

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 7:05pm PST 
I dont have the money for the invisiable fencing. And my my stepdad wont put his money into it for just one dog. Plus, he doesnt like my dog. He says she's stupid. Our vet doesn't do Care Credit or i would. I've already looked into it.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 7:49pm PST 
Your step dad sounds like a real prince.naughty Do you live in a one vet town? If not, you could look into other vets?

Good Luck
[notify]