GO!

Parvo/Distempter Vaccine Questions

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 12:51pm PST 
Went in for Winnie's vaccinations today . . . Rabies, of course, but also the parvo/distemper vaccine. And, of course, the vet tech is trying to get me to do that every year.

Don't get me wrong--I definitely want to protect Winnie from distemper, as that is a legitimate threat in our area. My understanding is that distemper is communicated through either bodily fluids, or close proximity to an infected animal. The only way she would experience either of these is if she got loose and went galavanting around for a day, but still . . . I want to keep her protected. I know much less about the way parvo works, but my understanding is that it's not a huge threat for most adult dogs.

That being said, she's had all her puppy vaccinations for parvo/distemper, as well as at least two (might be three) rounds of adult vaccinations for the combo. I know most vaccines last much longer than a year . . . am I safe in going three years between parvo/distemper vaccines, as we do with rabies? She's very healthy, only struggled a little bit with allergies, but we have that under control. Not on any meds, healthy body weight, and on a quality diet. Any thoughts?
[notify]
Rascal

Silly

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 12:58pm PST 
They do have a 3 yr DHP vaccine. Much better then annual.
But if you truly don't want to vaccinate your dog you can run titers to see if they are still carrying the antibodies for the specific viruses.
Most dogs probably do have immunity for things alot longer the the labeled vaccine.
My dogs are around other dogs, vet clinics, wildlife. So they get their lepto vaccine annually and DHP and Rabies every 3 yrs.
Although I may stop vaccinating my older dog (8 yrs) for DHP soon
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 8:57pm PST 
Idk about distemper, but parvo gets into everything...if your dog were to go to a house where another dog had parvo it could get it...
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 10:41pm PST 
Yes Angel Parvo gets into everything however, it is not a threat to a healthy adult dog.
Distemper is a real threat but I would do titers. Chances are good your dog does not need further vaccinations.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 10:44pm PST 
Yeah...I guess having had that happen in my fur family has made me ultra-paranoid about it
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 11:06pm PST 
Angel been there, done that. It prompted me to learn. My fully, properly vaccinated Dane got Parvo at 9 months old.
It was then that I questioned how effective the vaccine was and came up with a startling number of cases similar to mine.
I don't have much faith in vaccines.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 11:59pm PST 
Sabi...I guess I'm just still mad about Jack's situation in general...but yeah I should do more research into vaccines as well. Thank you for telling me that smile
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 4:52am PST 
The problem is, in some rarer cases, the mother's immunity doesn't wear off until AFTER all the puppy vaccines are given, which makes the vaccines not work. The only way to tell if the mother's immunity is with titres, unfortunately, too expensive and impractical for puppies as you would pretty much have to repeat them every week.
I did have a lab puppy tittered at 12 weeks once and the mother's immunity was still strong. That was back when the last vaccine was given at 12 weeks so thinking that pup would have been protected would have been wrong.
[notify]
Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 11:15am PST 
Thanks, everyone. I think I shall request a titer next year, and then decide what to do from there.

Angel, sorry to hear about your experience frown I also am skeptical of the protection vaccines offer . . . three people in my family have had whooping cough, despite being properly vaccinated for it, and three of my friends have had it as well, also with vaccines. One was a very bad case, though the rest weren't too serious. Viruses mutate quite freely, and it seems only a matter of time before they mutate themselves around a vaccine.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 11:51pm PST 
My house was cleaned from top to bottom to get rid of any parvo...the thing I'm afraid about is that it's in the soil around my house. So any dog that doesn't have a strong immune system has a chance to get it...and I'd hate for that to happen.
[notify]