GO!

Glucosamine supplements and food allergies

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 6:52am PST 
Shadow has pretty severe food allergies and I never know when a new one will pop up. He is allergic to all poultry, eggs, alfalfa, soy, and corn. He does agility and I know he should be on a joint supplement to prevent injuries but the ones made for humans that are in store are too high of a dose(1500mg are the only ones sold in stores here) for him and they are insanely expensive($40 for only 30 pills). Should I just split those or are there good joint supplements for dogs that use beef instead of chicken and don't have excessive ingredients? Any input would be great.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 7:24am PST 
Human supplements are typically better quality and cheaper. If the one you've found so far is expensive, keep looking. You can get different doses as well, although therapeutic doses ARE high. That's the whole purpose of the supplement.

Whether or not you can split pills will depend on the individual supplement. If it's a capsule with powder, it shouldn't be an issue... Some solid pills can't be split (and I generally wouldn't recommend them for dogs anyway) and obviously splitting gel tabs would be ridiculous to attempt. You could also look for liquids or powder supplements and just give less than the recommended dose, if you don't want him to have that much.

Staying away from supplements altogether, there are food sources naturally high in glucosmaine. Raw beef trachea comes to mind. Generally any tendons/connective tissue (chicken feet, just for example... I know he can't have them, but along that idea).
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 9:59am PST 
Max gets TripleFlex by Nature Made and I grind it daily for him with a mortar and pestle. Haven't noticed any issues with it not working over when I used to pill him with it. He seemed happier with the supplement daily and is much happier now I am not pilling him!

I give him one a day which contains 750 mg of glucosamine, right on target for a 38 pound dog. It is low in chondroitin, oh well. All I know is I tossed out a Kirkland product that had no MSM as it was completely useless for Sassy and this one has it, that was my only venture away from tripleflex. Guess I ought to look for something with more chondroitin but I have a year's supply of TF in the pantry yet as it goes on sale at Costco and I forget there is still some at home.

Some pills are coated so you don't taste the nasty or just to smooth the swallowing. My dogs used to crunch them up anyway.
[notify]

joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 7:25pm PST 
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I was wondering what glucosamine supplements are usually made from. Can anyone enlighten me? I know someone who's trying very hard to determine what her dog is allergic to. She gives him glucosamine/condroiten (spelling?), and I sometimes wonder if he could be allergic to that.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 7:37pm PST 
You can check the labels of human supplements here. The origin should be on the label of course.
http://dietarysupplements.nlm.nih.gov/dietary/index.jsp
[notify]