GO!

WARNING - Anaphylaxis & Northern Black Widow spider….

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 9:14am PST 
This is a cautionary tale!!!

I could have lost my old buddy this morning.

Snickers started barking at 5 AM, just after my alarm woke me. He never barks to go out unless it's urgent, so I went down to open the door for him. I saw two places he threw up yellow liquid near the door.
When he came in his eyes were watery, the right side of his face was swelling and he was in obvious distress and pain.
If it were summer, I would think - bee sting.
BUT
We live in Connecticut where it was 5 degrees this morning.
He threw up twice more.

Within an hour his whole face was swollen and he was miserable looking.

By 8 he seemed better and the swelling was coming down. But I was still puzzled and concerned.
So off to the Vet this morning.

There I got an education on Northern Black Widow Spiders. I've seen a large Southern Black Widow in Arizona. I didn't know we had them in Connecticut. We do, they just look different.

I burn wood for heat in the winter, so all sorts of bugs come in on the wood all winter.

Snickers had a severe reaction and is on medication. The Vet warned me it could have been worse if he were a smaller dog and might be worse for Snickers if he gets bit again.

So I looked them up on the internet - spiders and webs - I have at least the one. Darn. Vacuumed like crazy to get rid of them - I hope.
Please, know what they look like, the webs look like, and if you use wood, be careful.

Snickers is still feeling yucky and the meds make him drink and pee. My poor little man!
[notify]
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 NAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 9:45am PST 
I know living in Ohio we have them and I believe brown recluse. Thanks for the warning.. I'm usually cautious because they scare the crap out of me! ( I'm very suspicious of any spider in general) Good to know what to look for..
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 11:38am PST 
I'm glad Snickers is on meds shock

I (human) got bit by a pretty big spider while sleeping in early November and had an allergic reaction. Not pleasant. Neither was looking up info on spiders and spider bite.

hug
[notify]