GO!

Thoughts on no rabies vaccine in Texas

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 2:26pm PST 
Be aware that the rabies law is there to directly protect people, not dogs. If you are found to have a dog not up to date, you would be fined and your dog may be immediately euthanized if he may have been exposed. Some fines are hundreds of dollars per day of delinquency. Most dogs in Mexico are not protected which means most dogs in Texas are at high risk.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 8:43pm PST 
I say it's better to be safe than sorry...Angel will always be getting her rabies vaccine no matter how old she is.
[notify]
Kally

I caught a- squirrel once...

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 10:53am PST 
Thank you all so much for your thoughtful responses!!

As for the link, I do not have it - I really have no idea if the article was credible/accurate or anything, just one of many things I read that made me wonder smile But Kally has had back problems for many years - not just a new or "old age" problem.

Thank you for the thought about getting a titer test - I'm going to look into it some more. I brought it up to my vet once before and he said if I was trying to save money, it would be cheaper to just vaccinate. I told him I'm not trying to save money but trying to not over-vaccinate.

After reading that vaccines are effective for longer than the 1-3 years most vets tell you, it just upsets me that I legally have to vaccinate if the previous vaccine is still effective, especially if there is ANY chance of a vaccine reaction.

Thanks again for all your thoughts smile
[notify]

Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 11:48am PST 
The law is very stern about the rabies issue not on the front of dog welfare, but on community safety. It's sort of one of the necessities if you are to legally keep your pet. Some choose to fly under the radar....I certainly did with my GSD, Pogo, who did not tolerate vaccines well and was not well himself...but it is part of responsible dog ownership generally.

There is little you can do to keep your dog safe from a rabid animal if they are at all outside unsupervised, if they go off lead, or at night, as bats are also rabies carriers.

Rabies is fascinating (to me, anyway....but parasites fascinate me, lol) in that it essentially takes over the brain in an attempt to ensure its (the viruses) survival before its host succumbs. Rabid animals can become very bold. Many lose inhibition entirely and will wander into populated neighborhoods and even act rather friendly. Or in more advanced stages of the disease, highly aggressive.

In other words, no amount of assuring oneself that their unvaccinated pet is safe, save for covering all bases by your animal never, ever being unattended or out at night, is sound, as what you are assuming you have control over (rabid animals in your environment) are behaving anywhere from uncharacteristically to flat out insane. You can't track or anticipate an insane person. Nor can you do so to an infected animal, who are engineered through the virus to find a ready source to sustain the virus and pass it on.

HERE is a video of a rabid coon who has chased a van and is currently trying to attack a burro and her foal, and a cow. Burros can be used, just to make it clear, as LGDs to chase wolves away. The filmers started to put together this was not a bold coon, but a rabid animal and (off the video) did shoot this animal. A rabid animal is unmanageable, unstoppable save for a bullet to the head, and can and will infiltrate areas seldom if ever seen. You cannot predict them, and if they show up, it is not a scene you can control without lethal force, the time it takes to grab such an implement time enough for you or your dog to get bitten.

It's rare, but if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, your ability to control the situation is close to zero. As a human, you can perceive uncharacteristic behavior and respond, but an unsupervised dog will be naturally drawn to a rabid animal...their behavior is very provocative.

Edited by author Tue Jan 8, '13 11:57am PST

[notify]
Dunkin

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 3:58pm PST 
My older dogs do not get their shots after about the age of nine. They do not get out of the yard unless on a leash. I think it is just to much and they do not need it in their old age.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2