GO!

Lab loosing hair

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 6:35am PST 
Hi smile

My yellow lab is 13 months old. He's a wonderful friend and has been on the RAW model diet for the last 3 months. I switched him to RAW and he constantly itches his skin and has gunky ears so I thought it would help if he were allergic to wheat, grain etc. He has loved being on RAW but I haven't noticed any improvement at all in his skin condition.

The last 3 weeks or so there have been these bumps on his skin. When I scratch at them a clump of dirt looking stuff comes loose with a clump of his hair as well. I notice his skin is raw beneath. These are on his cheeks, top of his head, behind his neck, on his back etc. They are not everywhere, just in clusters in certain spots. It does not look like flea dirt to me, he is up to date with his tick and flea treatment and has been thoroughly checked so I'm sure it's not this.

Has anyone seen this before? I will take him to the vet but just wanted to ask here to see first.

Here are some photos I took just tonight.

Clumps of his hair with attached dried blood and dirt?
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z279/alycekeys/637980c23cc 9fa832137f3564b129f37.jpg

Hair thinning on face
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z279/alycekeys/9c4e9110542b 7c4e249a01667cf0a6bd.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z279/ alycekeys/b6ac90009896b4c7d9045640d1730ac1.jpg

Thanks for your help
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 8:25am PST 
I can't see your pictures, but can you detail his diet? Perhaps there is some deficit there?

Could be an allergy, a form of mange, a parasite (ringworm?), immune system or thyroid issue....where did you get him from? Dogs from poor breeding can be prone to hot spots that pop up for a myriad of reasons too.

Edited by author Thu Jan 3, '13 8:27am PST

[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 8:31am PST 
sorry your photos aren't showing.
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 8:58am PST 
pic 1

pic 2

pic 3
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 6:34pm PST 
Yes, those are the photos that Jewel posted, not sure why the links would not work, sorry.

I bought him from a highly respected and experienced breeder on the east coast. He comes from fantastic show and competition lines.
[notify]
Kye

I'm like- Einstein only- hairier.

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 8:00pm PST 
It would be best to consult a vet and maybe have a skin scraping done. It could be a multitude of things and its hard to tell from pictures.
My Kye had a hot spot once but I don't remember the hair falling away with bits of skin/blood attached. If you do find out what it is please post it here! wave
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 8:32am PST 
I would love it if there was an update from the lab owner smile

Bathed Harley last night and I have similar scabs and black specks in his coat ---just down the back. The bath happened because I noticed he was itchy and chewing on a spot. I am leaning towards fleas but will be doing some more research etc tonight as I have never dealt with fleas before.
[notify]
Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 6:36pm PST 
It *may* be an environmental allergy or a mite. The vet can do a skin scraping to determine what it is, or what its not. Dunlop gets something similar but not to that scale.
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 3:30am PST 
Like Kye had said it can be a number of things. It can be an endocrine issue, an allergy, a defecit in his nutrition. I would take your dog to a vet and get a consult. Possibly have them run a CBC/Super chemistry panel and a skin scraping. Please let us know what you do and what the results are.
[notify]