GO!

pigeon toed=bad hips?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 8:09pm PST 
I have had Lexus for a couple weeks now and have noticed her back paw on the right side turns inward when she stands and or walks....not all the time but most times, like she is pigeon toed? I have read different things, some say this means she has bad hips and some say she could out grow it and her muscles haven't caught up to her bones yet or something? She is going to her vet check up already in January at which time I will have her looked at of course, but in the mean time anybody have any experience in this or any idea's? Thanks.
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 8:27pm PST 
I'm interested in hearing the responses, because Ava's hind toes on her left side do this too. Always have for as long as I can remember. Her inner toe looks a little bit weird from the rest. It may be from an injury when she was a puppy, but I'll admit since it doesn't bother her I've never had it checked out. She's 3 years old.

ETA:
Not right.. I mean left. red face

Edited by author Thu Dec 27, '12 8:28pm PST

[notify]
Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 4:17am PST 
Koby has Hip Dysplasia and his right leg turns in making him pigeon toed. Your pup is still very young and could be going through a growing spurt. Unless she shows weakness or pain when she gets up, turns or sits, then I wouldn't worry. Having the vet check her hips is a good idea. Good Luck!
[notify]

Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 4:44am PST 
Quincy has BOTH feet turning right in and his knees out... normal growth pattern for a 5 month old male lab puppy. I don't expect them to get straighter until he's at least 12 - 14 months old.
[notify]
Seth

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 3:43pm PST 
I agree to the point the puppy could grow out of this. But do keep an eye on this. I knew someone that had a puppy start off with this, and in time, the puppy became bow legged. Turned out that they were not feeding the puppy very good food and his bones and joints were not growing at the same rate. By what the vet said, this case was rare, but I just wanted to let you know it can happen.
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 5:35pm PST 
Thank you all very much! I will let you all know what her vet says, she has never seemed in any pain and runs around just fine and climbs the highest snowbanks she possibly can doesn't seem to struggle getting up at all. So I hope it is just her growing and her age. I will update when I know, thanks again! way to go
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 8:54pm PST 
Hip dysplasia is not common in huskies, something like 2% occurrence. It could be a lot of things that aren't harmful including a growth spurt. Get the vet to check it out, but try not to worry, it probably isn't anything to worry about.
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 8:57pm PST 
I hope so thanks Fritz! smile
[notify]
Peto

Peto McFatty

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 1:50pm PST 
Peto will be turning 7 and he is pigeon toed (both back legs) and has been his entire life. I asked the vet about it when I first rescued him (I knew the previous owner so that's how I knew he had it from a puppy) and she said to keep an eye on him as he gets older- but every exam he gets they all say he has excellent ROM in both hips! Peto is a 90lb Malamute mix.
[notify]