GO!

Shaking?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Oscar

Oscar Monster

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 1:22am PST 
This is something I've been wondering, as opposed to something that's worrying me. I don't think it's anything serious, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Anyway, Oscar shakes. He trembles. It's usually only a paw at a time, and mostly when he's excited. It's not extreme, but you can clearly see he's shaking.
He's done it since we got him three years ago and I'd stopped noticing it until my mother mentioned that his jaw was shaking yesterday. I didn't see it happen, and I'm not really sure what she meant, but she said his teeth were clattering?
So I started watching and noticed it was more frequent than it had been. I don't think I can write it off as excitement anymore and it's nothing to do with cold... or any other factor I can think of.
Again, it isn't severe and doesn't seem to impact him at all, but I'm kind of curious about it. Any insight?
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 1:46pm PST 
Shivering and chattering teeth can be a sign of pain, anxiety, a neurological disorder, seizures, or excitement. Has your pup been to the vet about this to make sure that it is not a health issue?

Edited by author Thu Dec 27, '12 1:47pm PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 1:49pm PST 
Male dogs often do the teeth chattering thing when they are smelling attractive female dogs.
[notify]

Seth

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 3:49pm PST 
I was going to say that my males also did this when a female in heat was around. But I see someone also said this. It may be something to watch, and see if it happens again. It is really hard to tell if it only last a short time , it does not sound serious, but you may want to say something to the vet the next time you go in to see the vet.
[notify]