GO!

Faint positive parvo test, but recovered fully in a few hours?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 12:33am PST 
Our 10 week old puppy was feeling ill on monday so we rushed him to the er. He came back with a very faint positive for parvo. We chose out patient treatment and he was goven an anti emetic some fluids under the skin and antibiotics. About 5 or so hours after the diagnosis and initial dose of fluids he made a full 100% recovery. He ate breakfast drank on his own normal poop and no vomiting for two days now. He's had a recheck at the er as well as a check up at another local vet (who didn't really look twice at him, wont be going there again). He was vaccinated two days prior to the diagnosis
Is it possible this could be a false positive due to vaccines given how ridiculously fast he recovered with no symptoms coming back at all? Should I do another parvo test, a second opinion? He was showing symptoms for probably 8 hours

Edited by author Thu Dec 27, '12 12:40am PST

[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 4:19am PST 
I think i would get a second opinion, just to be safe, esp since the pup is so young. You should also, continue to keep an eye on him, because I think they can rally, then get really sick again. Hopefully, he either did recover quickly or he did have a reaction to the shots. Good Luck!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 11:35am PST 
Thanks! We decided to take him to yet another vet today at 3:30 for a proper exam and a redo on the parvo test. Ill keep you guys posted! Today is the third full day post diagnosis and he is fine still. If anything he's more hyper
[notify]

Kali

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 4:04pm PST 
Thanks for the update. I hope the visit went well. smile Please keep us posted.
[notify]
Alyssum

Dog O' Despair

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 10:06pm PST 
I work at a veterinary hospital, and we had a really strange year for parvo. We had significantly fewer cases than normal, and most of them were faint positives that did well with conservative treatment. We had a couple cases like that last year, but that's almost all we saw this year. Miss Jenny, my foster dog, was one such and she was completely normal within a day.

It is my fervent hope that there is a new, 'gentler', strain of parvo going around that is not as deadly to puppies.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 12:10am PST 
We took Sheldon into the new vet today. The vet thought it was suspicious given his story and recovery, so we ran another parvo snap test. Made sure to get a good sample this time since the original test they barely got anything. They took a lot of time to make sure the test was done properly and it came back negative! The doctor suspects he had a bit of the virus from his recent vaccination, but probably was just sick with something else that caused his vomiting on Monday. Due to the parvo outbreak in wa state right now they just assumed it was parvo. No way to know what happened exactly but the doctor gave him a clean bill of health! So happy! Plus we found a great vet smile thanks guys!
[notify]
Kali

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 4:01am PST 
That's great news! cheer Good Luck with him. smile
[notify]