GO!

English Mastiff Chronic Pain

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 8:52pm PST 
Looking for anyone who has had an issue with a compressed femoral nerve/spinal compression. We are struggling after 16 weeks of hospitilizations, 3 surgeries, steroids, pain meds, epidurals and physical therapy ~ with no improvement. Trying to stay positive but this is taking a toll on all of us ~ any positive experiences out there?
[notify]
Madison- Ainsley

I- ammmmm....Hoooow- ie Girl!

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 9:11pm PST 
Hello, so sorry your pup is not improving, just breaks our hearts doesn't it. Just wondering if you have tried acupuncture, laser therapy and physical therapy? Also Dr Karen Becker has some very interesting articles on her websites, in fact she just posted a great article on pain management the other day. I do hope your pup can soon feel better. God Blessdog
[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 9:45pm PST 
yes, we are doing water, eeg and range of motion pt right now...he had 2 in hospital intensive weeks then we brought him home for outpatient... he has been in LSU vet school with a team of doctors...I'm hitting the wall financially and emotionally...we are trying a 2nd spinal treatment next week ~ will get updates then. thanks
[notify]

Jim

Throw the Dang- Ball!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 5:18am PST 
Femoral nerve dysfunction takes time to heal. You just need to work on increasing his mobility. Treatment is usually supportive with this type of injury. Continue with the corticosteroid injections and pain medication. Physical therapy will help him maintain muscle strength in that leg. Do you know what caused this? The pain may continue for a long time, unfortunately. He may even loose partial sensation in that leg. Only a vet can really help you with this. You also need to find out what has caused the nerve damage. Usually, femoral nerve dysfunction is caused by some sort of trauma. Physical therapy is really his best treatment at this time. Has the vet checked for vasculitic neuropathy? This type of neuropathy can be accompanied with femoral nerve dysfunction and complicate treatment.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 4:16pm PST 
just an update...we have graduated from LSU to Miss State U Neurologic Vet Center...2nd 600 mile trip to the vet and still no improvement ~ biopsy today, hopefully some answers in the next week
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 8:15pm PST 
can't believe i've been posting about this for months and we JUST got a diagnosis ~ after taking our big boy to the best vets in the country we decided on spinal surgery to relieve the compression in his spine...our hope was to reduce his pain and start therapy to regain use/range of motion. A vet student was petting him today (1 day post surgery) and felt a lump on under his chin. Aspiration & testing showed he is positive for lymphoma. All of these months, $11000 in surgeries, therapies, MRIs, Radiographs, prescriptions and some of the best neurologists in the US and a VET STUDENT found this little lump by accident. We are not chosing chemo, as he is in so much pain from his spine/leg and the remission time is estimated at 6 to 9 months if the treatment works. Its time to give up and let him get some peace. Thanks to all who answered and messaged.
[notify]
Dunkin

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 4:46pm PST 
I am sorry your dog is having so many problems. I do hope you find something that will make him feel much better soon
[notify]