GO!

Ate a rawhide bone whole!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Monkey

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 6:17am PST 
I never let Monkey eat a rawhide bone, I let her chew it for a while and then throw it out before she ever ingests it. She chews on the long sticks for atleast 20 minutes without any damage done. Last night I gave her one and got distracted for those 20 minutes- when I called her she didnt come I checked on her and the bone was GONE!!! She ate the whole sick. I cant imagine she even chewed it very much. Shes had no signs of vomiting or diarrhea yet - she ate her dinner and breakfast w. no problems. How worried shoudl I be? I have learned my lessons and feel bad enough so please don't yell at me frown
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 6:33am PST 
Ok, be on the lookout for signs of blockage. Keep track of how often and the times your dog goes to the bathroom, write this down in case you have to inform your vet. This might sound gross, but actually look at it. Take a stick and break it up and look for chunks of the rawhide to know if it's passing through the digestive track. It's worth it when you really need to know if something's passing or not. Watch your dog eliminate, if they're showing signs of severe straining or distress and nothing seems to be moving take your pup to the vet asap. You're looking for anything out of your dog's ordinary toilet habits.

In general, if your dog is eating, drinking and behaving as usual and then eliminating normally, your pup is probably fine.

There are some good alternatives to rawhide. Naturally shed deer and elk antlers are long lasting healthy chews that get scraped down by the dog and don't break off in chunks. My dog loves them, chews on them for at least an hour a day is now three and I've never had an issue with them.

I hope all is well with your pup! hug
[notify]
Monkey

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 7:39am PST 
Why do they sell these when they are so dangerous! Ugh I am sooo worried now - I cannot imagine her passing this - it was about 4inches whole!
[notify]

Ranger

Pay attention to- me!

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 10:50am PST 
Was it a true rawhide or a bully stick?
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 3:57pm PST 
While you are watching for it to emerge and watching out for signs of obstruction, check under your furniture, beds.....It may have been safely stashed away. (lets hope so)

Good Luck

PS the hard ham bones they sell in the pet stores are very very dangerous too.
[notify]
Monkey

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 5:57pm PST 
It's been 24 hours and she hasn't shown any signs of blockage yet, watching the poop very closely...
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 8:17am PST 
My sisters puggle has done this on more than one occasion with no ill effects.They tend to soften up as they move along and in Max's case,always pass in one long lump. Hope you are as lucky.wishes
[notify]
Monkey

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 11:17am PST 
So far so good - its almost 48hrs now. But it also hasn't shown up yet...thanks for the hope Mika!!
[notify]
Ikan

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '12 1:19pm PST 
I never let the dogs have rawhides anymore. On two seperate times i have had to reach in a dogs mouth because it was stuck. As far as I am concerned, they should not sell them at all.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 6:07pm PST 
My puppy ate a rawhide whole. I induced vomiting by giving him 2 teaspoons of3% hydrogen peroxide. It worked like a charm. Within 2 minutes he was throwing it up. Only lasted about 2 minutes and he is now fine. I couldn't imagine waiting to see if it would pass. I think this is the best treatment for this ailment.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2