GO!

i think some people like their dogs chronically sick

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 35)  
1  2  3  4  
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Tue Jan 10, '12 2:12pm PST 
No, people with sick dogs need (or deserve?) support. I think this is someone who is making their dog sick on purpose, becuase they want the attention from it.

I'm like you Sammy if some little thing seems off with my dog, I pay attention and make sure it's really nothing not just hope it's nothing and forget it.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Tue Jan 10, '12 2:17pm PST 
Sammy, I never once suspected you of being anything less than 100% genuinely concerned. Having dogs with issues isn't a red flag, it's people whose dogs are constantly coming up with new symptoms, that they choose to treat inappropriately, while still complaining about them. I think most dogsters can tell you're not a phony or hypochondriac (unless you're an awfully convincing one, LOL. laugh out loud Got us all fooled!)

There's a fine line I think between being aware of what's going on with your dog, and being overly concerned and anxious about them, seeing diseases everywhere. Ideally we could all walk that line and not worry about inconsequential things while still catching the major things, but it's hard. We're not vets and the internet can be worse than useless in turning molehills into mountains.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Tue Jan 10, '12 2:28pm PST 
Thankfully we know no one who deliberately causes a pet to be ill so they can be receive sympathy but we do know someone who is a dog-hypochondriac.

She has spent thousands at the vet for vet visits and full blood work (her insistence, not the vets') for things like:
- Anxiety-induced panting caused by fireworks around July 4.
- Panting because she's hot during the summer.
- "Happy" panting after she came over and got to play with Chance.
- Panting after physical exercise.
- Itchiness caused by scrubbing her dog with shampoo down to the skin for a solid hour then giving the dog daily baths in warm water for the next 2 weeks.
- Her dog dug up and ate a pocket gopher.
- Her dog sniffed around in the dirt and sneezed twice.
- The dog had a new "lump". Last lump was an old scab that had fallen off a little healed wound and was still caught in the fur.

Every time you talk to her, she has a new health concern about her dog - all the while ignoring the dog's clinical obesity. Dog's now about 25% over ideal body weight.
[notify]

Bella

We're Just- Freezing Up Here- in SD!

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 5:09am PST 
I've witnessed appathy, but I've never seen this in person, although I've certainly heard of it.
[notify]
Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 1:36pm PST 
Check out Can Dogs Be Victims of Munchausen by Proxy?, in this week's Ask a Vet column, inspired by this Forum Thread!
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 35)  
1  2  3  4