GO!

My douge de bordeaux seems underweight.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ruby

Scardy pup, Ruby- do

Barked: Sun Dec 18, '11 8:41am PST 
I only got her about 2 1/2 weeks ago. She is close to 7 months old and ONLY weighs 46 pounds! does that seem small to anyone else? The vet has mentioned NO concerns...but it just does not seem right.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Sun Dec 18, '11 9:04am PST 
That does seem to be a bit light for that breed.
The standard calls for "at least 99lbs" full grown and at 7 months, I'd assume she should be in around 80lbs at least thinking

Do you know her age for sure?
Or maybe she's just bound to be an "under standard" dog
[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 18, '11 9:36am PST 
If that's her in the picture, it doesn't look like she's too skinny. It says you adopted her, if that's the case then her age could be way off, and so could her breed. As long as she's healthy and not over or underweight, and your vet isn't worried, I wouldn't be worried about it.
[notify]

Oscar

Canis Angelicus

Barked: Sun Dec 18, '11 10:03am PST 
Do you know her history, her breeder? She doesn't look underweight, so she may just end up being a peanut.
[notify]
Tyson Savage- CGC

Let's do big dog- stuff!

Barked: Sun Dec 18, '11 4:12pm PST 
BOL a peanut... smile

I'm not very familiar with the breed but she doesn't look underweight to me either!
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sun Dec 18, '11 5:36pm PST 
Hmm, she does look all Dogue. She might just be the runt? Honestly though, the ones I've met have not been what I'd consider huge dogs. They've been smaller than Tanuk, but perhaps about the same weight because they are stockier. At only seven months, she still has some growing to do.

As long as she's just for a pet home I wouldn't worry. She looks healthy in the picture. Make sure you can feel, but not see her ribs.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Dec 19, '11 6:52am PST 
What did she weigh at six months? Double that and you can get pretty close to the dog's full grown weight.

Also, if you know weight of sire and dam, go by the weight of the sex of your dog...the dam to get your pup's weight, in this case.

By factoring in the two pieces of info above, I actually beat my vet's guess for my dog's weight at full growth.
[notify]
Ruby

Scardy pup, Ruby- do

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 6:25am PST 
I know her EXACT birthday. The surender got her from the breeder. I do not know where the breeder was. I wish I did though because I would kick his bum from her to china and back. You can TELL she has been beat. I meet the old owners and I don't see them as animal beaters. They paid 200 dollars just 2 weeks before giving her away.
[notify]
Ruby

Scardy pup, Ruby- do

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 6:26am PST 
she was 41 pounds at 6 months.
[notify]
Ruby

Scardy pup, Ruby- do

Barked: Fri Dec 30, '11 12:17pm PST 
IS there a way to post a image so you guys can see her size?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2