GO!

Breath with blood or metallic-ish smell?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sage CGC

Mommy's lil- princess

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 10:11pm PST 
Sage has had this since we've got her. It kinda even smells like a faint puppy breath smell. She isn't teething though as she is between 10 months and a year old. What exactly would cause this? And could she go so long with a vaginal infection without it actually making her sick? I mean, she eats, drinks, acts normal. And she's probably had it for a long time. What other things could it be? Anyone else have a dog that has this smell on their breath? Would her vaginal area smell like this too if it was indeed a vaginal infection?
[notify]
Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 10:20pm PST 
Thanks for posting! I was wondering about this. It has happened to Scruffy before, but I changed his food and his weird smelling breath went away. Sorry I'm not much help, but hopefully someone will have an actual answer soon!
[notify]
Sage CGC

Mommy's lil- princess

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 10:22pm PST 
Sage is on Innova, so I don't know if that would cause it or not. Maybe a switch? I dunno. It's just really weird. I'm suspecting a UTI or something along those lines maybe. But I want to see what other options there are.
[notify]

Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 10:32pm PST 
Scruffy was on Innova Red Meat when the metallic-y breath kicked in. But I think he was sensitive or allergic to something in that food because he would randomly start panting lightly for a while and he usually never pants randomly, plus he started yawning and making little noises more, and he is usually very quiet. So I switched him to Natural Balance Lamb and Rice and he is back to his old self and the metallic-y breath went away. shrug I hope someone else chimes in soon! I Google'd this before but Google didn't turn up much.

Edited by author Sun Sep 18, '11 10:34pm PST

[notify]
Sage CGC

Mommy's lil- princess

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 10:42pm PST 
I googled it and all it was saying was "take your dog to the vet." Okay, well, I need a place to start! haha. Sage is on half raw half innova.
[notify]
Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 10:46pm PST 
Yeah, that's about the jist of it when I Google'd as well. Scruffy is on Natural Balance Lamb & Rice and he gets a RMB once or twice a week. I brush his teeth once in a while in between as well. shrug

Edited by author Sun Sep 18, '11 10:54pm PST

[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Mon Sep 19, '11 8:14am PST 
One cause for can get a metallic breath is from high bacteria. When bacteria reproduces fast it causes that.
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Mon Sep 19, '11 12:40pm PST 
Blood smells metallic to Mom (which is one reason she's a vegan). Maybe the food you are on has more blood content to it? Metallic smell could be a liver issue, too.
It could be something to do with the teeth, but it could also be an inner ear infection.

If I were you, I'd mention it to the vet next time you go, since she seems otherwise healthy.

They will probably do a blood draw and if nothing is wrong at least you have a baseline for future reference.
Sage CGC

Mommy's lil- princess

Barked: Mon Sep 19, '11 1:17pm PST 
That's all what I was thinking Roo Crew. EVERYTHING seems normal. Other then licking herself, but she doesn't do it any more then any other dog I've owned! I'll mention it to my professor and see if he wants me to bring her in!
[notify]
Sage CGC

Mommy's lil- princess

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 11:37am PST 
Well, found out the issue. Well, the TWO issues actually. Sage had filled anal glands that we did express. And she has a severe UTI. She's on Cephalexin just for the weekend since the Baytril didn't come in, but she's thrown up BOTH times I've given it to her. So I don't know if I'll be giving it to her again. I tried it with food. I tried it without food. I just think her body doesn't like it at all. frown
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2