GO!

Canine copper storage disease..any advice

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Dos Rio- Yushula / - (RIO)

Mamas baby boy,- loved forever- and ever.

Barked: Fri Sep 9, '11 1:53pm PST 
crycrycrycrycrycry Beautiful Rio had a liver bx last Wednesday. It came back as copper storage disease. Does anyone have any information on this disease. Prognosis..I know we are changing his diet and putting him on Zinc and another drug the vet has to order through a pharmacy. His liver enzymes were elevated this year which led us to do the biopsy. Please help. I am just heart sick. Rios mommy Patcrycrycrycrycrycrycrycry
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Sat Sep 10, '11 9:25am PST 
Dogaware: Liver Diseases
has a link to sources of copper to avoid, among other info.

Liver Disease (Copper Storage) in Dogs is another article.

I couldn't find any info on this disease in Merck except as related to Bedlington Terriers, Westies, and Dobies.
[notify]
Dos Rio- Yushula / - (RIO)

Mamas baby boy,- loved forever- and ever.

Barked: Sat Sep 10, '11 12:01pm PST 
Thanks for the help. I just ordered the Cuprimine from a pharmacy in Canada. Its alot cheaper than what I can get it here in the US. I will check out your links. Thanks so much. Rio
[notify]

Barked: Sat Feb 11, '12 1:31pm PST 
If you are still in need of information on copper storage disease let me know. My baby was just dx with it last Sept (2011) and after MUCH research I know way more than I ever wanted to know (including a complete list of foods with copper amounts as well as how many mg of copper per weight a dog can have). The penacillamine (Cupramine) which I too got shipped in from Canada worked and my dog's levels are good. We now have to switch to zince acetate and this has been a nightmare to find (I checked with my vet if zinc glucanote could be used but they wanted me to pursue the acetate or galzin (is the other name for it)). Still working on this piece!
[notify]

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 2:25pm PST 
Hi, I'm Sandra from the Netherlands and my 8 yr old labrador has livercirrhosis/copper storage disease. We've consulted several vets and they all give us diet dogfood. However, our darling refuses to eat it and is losing weight. We will have to give her regular copper-free or copper-low food. Does anyone have experience what kind of food we can give her? I read broccoli, chicken, cheese, eggs, turkey?
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Tue May 14, '13 5:57am PST 
Rio cry I have never heard of that before. Sending you pop hughughug
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Tue May 14, '13 7:39am PST 
I just realized this is from 2011....did you find any help with this Rio?
[notify]