GO!

Comfortis fleat treatment - AWFUL side effects !

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Scarlet

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 3:23pm PST 
Hi - I would NEVER give my dog Comfortis again - and would suggest you think VERY carefully before trying it on yours. Even the safety research (which is very limited) given by the manufacturers in their application for approval, reports very high incidences of vomiting, anorexia, diarrhea and sedation. Dog-owner reviews all over the internet - and the reports to the FDA - list multiple, frequent, severe and sometimes permanent and fatal adverse reactions. Yes I'm sure it could kill every flea within a hundred meters but at the expense of killing your dog too? Scarlet, who has no health problems and wasn't on Ivermectin (which is a known toxic combination) or any other meds, took it with a full meal as recommended, but vomited for 24 hours, was massively over sedated to the point I could barely make her eyes open, ataxic, didn't eat or drink, her heart rate dropped to 42 and I honestly thought she was at death's door. These aren't uncommon reactions even when taken as recommended. Google various combinations of "comfortis" "reviews" "FDA" "privacy information" "side effects or adverse effects". And definitely don't even think about it if your dog has ever had seizures, pancreatitis, diabetes - in fact any health problems. Just because its an "organic" insecticide (also used in farming), doesn't mean "safe". Oh, and compare the dose that's been considered "safe" for human exposure....
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 4:16pm PST 
Organic doesn't always = safe. Arsenic and botulism is organic, but we all know those aren't safe.

I'm so sorry you have had to experience this, and thank you for sharing so others can learn from it.

hughug

Edited by author Mon Feb 13, '12 5:43pm PST

Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 5:37pm PST 
I've heard more horror stories of dogs getting super ill when K9 Advantx was applied to their dog. No way would I use it, but randomly I was using Frontline Plus on him. Only problem I had was Mikey wouldn't let me put it on him so topical flea treatment was never going to happen.
I used Comfortis for the first time last summer (one dose, only one time) and after reading about all possible side affects, I never noticed any side affects and I watched him like a hawk for a few hours after his dose.
He got another single, one time dose in January and he did fine with that too.
I won't do a monthly deal with any of these flea treatments.

Unfortunately not every treatment works for every dog. Like I said, I know of more stories of dogs getting sick on K9 Advantix than on anything else.

Sorry your pup got sick and I hope she is feeling better.
[notify]

Twister

woof softly and- carry a big- stick

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 6:08pm PST 
Comfortis is the only flea treatment that will work with Twister. He has allergic reactions to everything else I've tried. Just as with any and all insecticides that you apply to your dog, you HAVE to give the correct dosage and watch your pup carefully after application. It's a good thing you were observing your dog, otherwise you may not have caught it in time! Very important reminder that not all flea meds work the same with all dogs.

hug I hope your pup feels better soon.hug
[notify]
Joey Diego - CGC, Therapy- Dog

Where did mom- go?

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 6:08pm PST 
Thanks for sharing...my dogs have been on comfortis for over 8 months and they do not have any bad side effects...guess it is time to do more research thinking
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 8:01pm PST 
We like comfortus too. The only problem is a whole pill makes me vomit. I do half in the am and half in the pm. Works like a charm. Our whole pack is flea free thanks to this medication.

I am sorry you had a bad side effect, but that doesn't mean it is a bad medication. For instance, some people are deathly allergic to penicillin, it will kill them. However, when my person was a child it saved her life by clearing up a bad kidney infection.
[notify]
Missy CGC

The not so- little Little- Missy.

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 8:14pm PST 
One of my dogs is allergic to Frontline and Frontline Plus so he is on Comfortis and it has been working wonderfully for him. Thanks to his be allergic to Frontline though that means my other dog is on K9 Advantix thankfully she hasn't had any problems on it what so ever.

I guess every treatment can have a negative effect on different dogs.
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 8:34pm PST 
Th side effects deterred me from using it on Abner. They just seem potentially....very harsh. Of course a bad reaction can happen with any med, but still.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '12 7:02pm PST 
EVERYONE PLEASE BE AWARE OF COMFORTIS!!! Comfortis caused my very normal healthy dog to have full body paralysis for several seconds a few days after he took it. He completely fell over stiff!! Also the second time he took it a few days later his back leg went totally paralyzed for over an hour! cry Thank goodness he recovered.... cry I will not give it to my dog again. This has never happened to him before Comfortis nor after I stopped giving it to him. Be aware Comfortis can have terrible side effects!!!!!
[notify]
Banjo

Little rascal

Barked: Sat Feb 11, '12 2:33am PST 
Every dog has different reactions. Banjo has very sensative skin and the fleas made it so bad that he was loosing hair and his skin was completely scabby and raw. We used comfortis for a couple of months with Banjo and it's been a while since he's had any skin reaction. He did fine on it as did my other dog Shandi. One time Banjo did throw up after taking it but that was once. We havent used comfortis for a while but it worked great for us.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10