GO!

Two strange lumps...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 5:05pm PST 
Hey all-
My current foster dog, Kingsley is a 2 year old scruffy terrier mix, weighs about 15lbs. He came up from the shelter in Indiana and was neutered last Saturday. Yesterday I noticed two hard lumps in the groin area- one on each side. They are symmetrical to each other, about the size of large grapes. They are HARD. He doesn't seem to be in pain- no licking or chewing. He did cry when I was feeling them (I was giving one a gentle squeeze). He's not eating much of his dog food, but will eat canned food, treats, scrambled eggs... He's playing and having a blast with Sarah. I've also noticed a little bit of reverse sneezing, but that's really common in my fosters.

I did call the vet and left a message but they're closed until 11am tomorrow (crazy hours!). Any ideas?
[notify]
Snoopy

Little Dude

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 5:20pm PST 
Yeah, Snoopy had those lumps also but i don't know what they were he gets them every once in awhile mainly when he is excited but they go away.Im not sure if your dog has the same thing though but if he does i wouldnt worry about it but take him to the vey just to be safe once they open.
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 6:03pm PST 
I think you're thinking of the gland that's right there on the shaft or whatever. These are actually to the sides, like towards the legs... I thought they were lymph glands but they are really hard...
[notify]

Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 6:33pm PST 
Sarah - is this what you are seeing? On either side caudal to the shaft? Scroll down to see the pictures.

Swollen Males?

These is a swelling of the bulbous glandis. From Petplace.com: Normal penile erection. A normal erection may be misinterpreted as a tumor if one is not familiar with the normal canine anatomy. The dog has a gland in the base of his penis (bulbus glandis) that swells, and becomes a hard spherical swelling. It is often confused with a penile tumor the first time it is seen.

They are hard and walnut sized usually.

ETA - I have seen them seem farther apart in some dogs especially if they are laying on their backs with legs apart. If swollen makes them appear larger and then they flop to side sortof.

Can you take picture?

Edited by author Thu Mar 3, '11 6:35pm PST

[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 6:47pm PST 
I don't think that's the bulbous glandis. I've seen that in male dogs (it did freak me out the first time!). I took some lousy pictures. The redness is from the incision- he was licking it right before I took the picture. 5 minutes ago, it did NOT look that red!
working on pictures...
[notify]
Leah, CGC

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 6:50pm PST 
There are inguinal lymphnodes which could be enlarged due to the surgery around them making them angry....They will go down as healing occurs. But honestly without feeling or seeing them its a hard call.
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 6:54pm PST 
lump

Lump 2
lump2

Edited by author Thu Mar 3, '11 7:01pm PST

[notify]
Leah, CGC

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 6:57pm PST 
I am pretty sure its normal. I have seen it at the clinic sometimes especially when dogs lay on their backs. I suggest it will get better over the next couple of days - if not then I would check with the vet.
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 7:05pm PST 
Thanks-
The vet just called me back actually- impressive since they closed 3 hours ago! He thinks that it may either be the lymph nodes or a reaction to the sutures used to tie off... something... veins? vas deferens? He wasn't specific. He said he should probably get it checked out if they don't go away soon as he may need antibiotics, but that it's not an emergency. The said the other option would be a hernia but that would be soft and it would be rare to have it on both sides.
[notify]
Henry Miller

He's a tramp,- but they love- him!

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 8:01pm PST 
I want to see pictures of your foster! You know how I love scruffy terriers!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2