GO!

swimming with snapping turtles?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Drover- Deputy Of- Security

Mr. Pudge

Barked: Thu Jun 10, '10 5:44am PST 
well, ummm, I didn't really know where to post this, but I thought this was the best place to post.
we were fishing at the little pond down the road, when all of a sudden a really big snapping turtle ( I woild guess it to be about three feet long 1 foot wide!)shock came up and ripped a fish off of are stringer. now, I was wondering. In the past I have used this place as a swimming spot for drover because it is nice and close to the house. Now, I am not so sure. I knew there were lots of turtles at this particular place, but a turtle that size worries me and makes me wonder, "if there is ONE that big, there must be more!!" Now I dont know too much about turtles, but this one was very strong. It just came right up and ripped a fish right off of our stringer and ate it while we watchedshock should I let drover swim in there? I really think not, but I was wondering what you guys thought. Is it normal for snappers to get that big!?shock I have only seen one that big in a zoo before!
[notify]

Mr. Pudge

Barked: Thu Jun 10, '10 6:37am PST 
bump
[notify]
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.

Barked: Thu Jun 10, '10 8:38am PST 
NO! Snapping turtles can bite of limps of humans! (rather it be fingers and toes or actual parts) I wouldn't risk my dogs flimsy legs in there! or tail. What if he's swimming and the dog kicks the turtle by accident while tredding? Taht turtle will whip around and bite him.

to risky. Here's some info

Snapping turtles are bold and aggressive hunters. Their massive, sharp-edged jaws are good for grasping many different aquatic and semi-aquatic creatures. The common snapping turtle, Chelydra serpentina, can be larger than any other species of North American turtle, except the alligator snapping turtle, Marcochelys lacertina. Adult specimens of the alligator snapper can reach a weight of 130 to 140 pounds!

They defend themselves in a manner similar to snakes by "striking" at enemies. The speed at which they strike rivals that of the rattlesnake. So quick is the movement that the eye is barely able to follow it. Backed up by a pair of sharp-edged, cutting mandibles and jaw muscles of tremendous power, a snapping turtle bite may cause serious injury. The amputation of a finger by a medium-sized specimen would be an accomplishment of no difficulty.

These turtles typically lie partially embedded in the mud of the river bottom. In this pose, the rapid movements of the head and neck are important for the capture of fish which form the majority of their food. The snapping turtle has a very broad dinner menu. Young waterfowl are stalked from beneath the surface, seized from below, and pulled down to drown and be eaten. The turtle is carnivorous, and never feeds unless underwater, though, snapping turtles will sometimes grab prey on the bank of a stream and retreat to the water to eat.

yeah, skip the watering hole..
[notify]

Mr. Pudge

Barked: Thu Jun 10, '10 9:09am PST 
yeah... I dont think I will let him swim in there... I never new they were so viscous! What REALLY worries me is some PEOPLE swim in there!shock with there kids!shockshock If I ever see anyone swimming there again I will tell them about Mr. Snapper. Until then, I will only fish there, and never set foot or let drover set paw in this water!
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Thu Jun 10, '10 6:57pm PST 
In the south we grew up swimming with a lot of turtles, snapping turtles and alligator snapping turtles. Oh, and alligators. LOL

Honestly, if encountered in the water for the most part they just run away. Alligator snapping turtles can be aggressive, especially the bigger they get.

I'd let Bella swim with turtles, snapping or otherwise. But not with actual alligators.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Thu Jun 10, '10 7:05pm PST 
And yes, it's normal for them to get that big.

There's an albino snapping turtle in the Philadelphia Zoo, there not because of his size but because of being albino.. thing is like 100 plus pounds and like 4 foot long.......... could take a paw off even a large dog, I am SURE.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Thu Jun 10, '10 7:19pm PST 
Giant Snapping Turtle

A giant snapping turtle I found in my lawn last summer. They get bigger than this, too. Normally they do not live long since they get run over in the road when things begin to heat up in the spring...but for the few that do live to old age, they are MASSIVE. And I can attest they move with lightning speed, much faster than your eye is able to see. All you can do is sort of "sense" that the turtle moved, makes you jump, but you don't really see it. Not something to play around with.

It is hard to tell but this guy is almost as big around as a hubcap.

Edited by author Thu Jun 10, '10 7:19pm PST

[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Thu Jun 10, '10 10:14pm PST 
A friend of mine has snapping turtles (rescues) and those suckers are MEAN! I would say that it isn't a good idea to let your pup swim in there or yourself! They can bite off fingers and toes and tails! yucky.
[notify]
Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Fri Jun 11, '10 12:26pm PST 
Their bites are terrible, but don't they also have terrible claws/ If scratched--isn't there lots od yucky bacteria in their claws?
[notify]
Augusta, CGC

Such a good dog!

Barked: Fri Jun 11, '10 5:15pm PST 
Noooooo! I don't like snapping turtles or the idea of snapping turtles one bit! (oops, pun not intended!) They scare me--they ate all the domesticated ducks off my former boss's pond and we're pretty sure they got the Canada Goose goslings too!frown naughty

But I'm not the bravest outdoorsy person, you might ask Dogster Nick! He probably knows all about such things! way to go
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3