GO!

Shaking/Trembling

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
DeeBo

Barked: Fri Feb 26, '10 1:45pm PST 
My dog DeeBo has, within the last few days, started trembling for what seems like no reason. I have tried finding a common link with his fits but there doesn't seem to be one. Randomly throughout the day he will just start shaking and nothing can calm him. I've tried ignoring him, cuddling, playing, doggie massage, treats, toys, and walking to calm him down, nothing works. He will be fine during the walk but as soon as we get back inside he starts shaking and acting scared again. He usually will just sit or lay and shake, but sometimes he gets almost panicky and will jump on my lap and panting heavily. And then, just as randomly, he will be fine. I don't think he is sick, but I feel like it's got to be pretty stressful for him. What can I do to help? Or is there nothing?
I had an Aussie that used to shake (but MUCH worse than DeeBo, plus he would slobber and hurt people trying to claw his way onto their laps, or destroy property in his frenzy) during thunderstorm and we had to use tranquilizers. I'm hoping to avoid that with him. Any help, please?

There have NOT been any storms or rain.
There has NOT been anyone fighting or yelling.
He eats and drinks regularly, just not during a fit.
He gets walked at least 3 times a day.
He has not been vomiting/diarrhea.
He is about 60 pounds.
He has not had any health issues in the past.

Thank you!
[notify]
buddy

Barked: Fri Feb 26, '10 2:12pm PST 
anything happening or added that may remind him of the barn where he was kept by previous owner?
[notify]
DeeBo

Barked: Fri Feb 26, '10 2:19pm PST 
I really doubt that. Besides, I don't think the farmer abused him or anything, he didn't seem to mind the horses.

Nothing has changed from his normal routine, nothing that jumps out at me, anyway. Like I said, I can't cite anything that is different for him to start acting this way.
And all the things that happened with my other dog are not present now.
The only thing that is consistent is that it usually only happens at night or afternoon. At first it was JUST at night, but now he starts earlier and earlier in the day.
[notify]

Spot

Boomer Did It

Barked: Fri Feb 26, '10 3:08pm PST 
are you sure it's not a seizure?
[notify]
Harley

New Jersey couch- potato Princess- GSD!

Barked: Fri Feb 26, '10 4:24pm PST 
If it doesn't stop, I would consult your vetrinarian. Dogs can't speak so they have different ways of telling us something isn't right. Hopefully it's nothing but a little nervousness, but I would take your friend to the vet just to make suresmile
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Fri Feb 26, '10 4:41pm PST 
Harley's right...take him to your vet. My buddy, Murphy, started shaking and acting lathargic. Turns out he has Diabetes.

Let's hope it's just nervousness and it will work itself out...but better safe than sorry.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Fri Feb 26, '10 4:47pm PST 
Shaking/trembling is often a symptom of pain or fear. I would take him to the vet for a thorough checkup. If he gets the all clear medically, try making a journal of the circumstances under which this happens: time of day, room of the house, TV or radio playing, what you're doing when it starts, what HE'S doing, etc. Maybe it will help you get a handle on what's bothering him. Good luck!
[notify]
Fergus TT

mmm... feet.

Barked: Sat Feb 27, '10 9:46am PST 
I wonder if he is in pain -- I'd get him checked out by your vet.
[notify]
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.

Barked: Sat Feb 27, '10 11:17am PST 
You said that it's random, but when you gave him treats did it subside after about 10 mins? I doubt it because he is such a large dog (compared to toy breeds) but could it be low blood sugar? Chloe sometimes just randomly starts to shake and I have to give her some honey or syrup toget her bloody sugar up and she's fine.

She acts scared and pants and looks nervous so that just made me think a bit.

I would try that then if it doesn't work - go to the vet cause it could be serious.

best of luck!
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Feb 27, '10 12:34pm PST 
My dog always shakes and trembles. I think it's something neurological. He's also very clumsy. Yesterday I had him off leash. he was running, slipped and then tumbled. He falls like this frequently. When I hold him his back legs will shake. Can't tell you how many times I have seen him run and fall.

No vet has given me a good answer and I have not had tests done on him. honestly I don't think it's necessary because he's healthy, it would be very expensive and not likely corrected.

If your dog is suddenly doing this I would recommend a vet visit. Poisons can cause neurological problems.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2