GO!

How many times a day should a dog poop?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kodi

Barked: Thu Feb 18, '10 6:57am PST 
Kodi is a little over a year old. I feed him Wellness Core 3/4 of a cup 3 times a day and he poops 4 times a day. Is this normal? The poops seem to be pretty large too. They are normal looking and not loose. Just wondering if this is normal cause my other dog only poops twice a day. shrug
[notify]
Juniper CGC

SQUIRRELLLL?- Where??

Barked: Thu Feb 18, '10 7:04am PST 
It all depends on the dog, and sometimes what they eat. Juniper poops once a day when he is eating TOTW, and twice a day when he is eating grain inclusive food (they are also smaller on TOTW). Hoover on the other hand would poop 3-4 times a day, and he only ate 2/3 the amount of food that Juniper does (Hoover was eating NB and getting 1 2/3 cup per day; Juniper gets 4 cups a day of whatever he is eating). As long as the stools are normal, you have nothing to worry about smile
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Feb 19, '10 4:08am PST 
Small poop about once a day. We eat TOTW and raw. When we were eating a grain inclusive food, diamond naturals, we pooped more often and bigger. It seems that I remember pooping more often when I was a puppy too.
[notify]

Henry Miller

He's a tramp,- but they love- him!

Barked: Fri Feb 19, '10 4:41am PST 
I feed Henry once a day, and he poops once a day. I feed him (raw) at night and he poops it in the morning.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Feb 19, '10 6:05am PST 
Sassy eats 4 times a day and poops once a day. Max eats once a day and there are way too many poops in the back yard. Not sure if I miss them some days and pick up several days worth other days or what.

As long as the results are firm enough, nothing weird about it and the food well digested I think number is unimportant.
[notify]
Vienna

Little V

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 8:28am PST 
Hey guys i have a almost a year old doxie/chiuahua mix and about two weeks ago our vet told us she was a little overweight so we switched her food to wellness small breed healthy weight and for the first few days her stools were loose but it stopped after 4 days. And now i have noticed hat sometimes in the middle of the night she needs go out about 4. Times with in an hour of sleep in between. And

everytime she goes out she poops. So she poops like 3-4 times with in a 5 hour time span. She doesnt do it every night just sometimes. And she only poops 1-2times during the day. I only feed her 1/4 cup. Food once a day. So is this normal. and i also notice after she poops that many times in the night by the lat time she poops its loose and kinda mucusy like
[notify]
Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 8:31am PST 
It really does depend on the dog.

Charlie and Zelda poop a lot, and also keep themselves naturally slender (they simply don't gain weight easily). They currently eat Orijen and poop 2-3 times a day, good size. When they ate prey-model raw, they pooped 2 times a day, still good size.

I always heard stories of dogs pooping once a day on raw, but I never experienced it. Jealous silenced.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 8:37am PST 
Vienna, no mucusy poop is not normal. Sounds like a vet visit is in order.
[notify]
Alyssum

Dog O' Despair

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 8:41am PST 
With my last dog, the number of times he would poop depended on what we were doing. If I was having a lazy day, he'd poop once a day as he got fed once a day. If we went on a walk however.... He'd go at least 5 or 6 times, full sized each time and getting progressively softer. He would literally empty himself out and then not poop at all for a couple days. He's was a really odd one. Alyssum only goes once a day as well, because I feed her only once a day.
[notify]
Ikan

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 3:31pm PST 
WE go once or twice a day. We are all very active here and play in the back yard all day long when it is nice. We also go for walks almost everyday. We eat two times a day and usually eat the Nutro Ultra food or the Nutro grain free.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2