GO!

Dog safe lawn fertilizers?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3  
Maya

Beg. It brings- treats.

Barked: Fri May 11, '07 2:52pm PST 
Ok, manure as is is nothing else but cow (or horse) dung. It contains certain substances that are in too high concentration and can kill plants. Manure needs to be "composted", that is, mixed with other things (generally with plain dirt+dry leaves and others) and kept covered so the necessary chemical reactions (that are heat-producing as well) will decompose the harmful part into "good" parts. It takes a while for this to happen, at least a month. That is why you need "manure compost" not plain manure.

My father who lives still in Europe is an ecologist and uses only the natural fertilizers, and mostly manure compost - he has quite a big cultivated area, orchard, vegetable garden, vineyard. He has these neighbors who grow cattle, and every fall they come and dump 3-4 big cartloads of cow manure in the back of the land. Dad then goes and mixes the manure with dirt and leaves and corn stalks and all kinds of stuff, and covers everything with a thick layer of dry leaves. In spring he has the best compost. He sometimes uses new mix in early spring inside the greenhouse of his early veggies for the heat the mix exudes (makes the veggies be kept warm with no electricity/fuel used), he just put a thick roll on the edges of the greenhouse. It's a little stinky but very useful.
[notify]
Berry

King of- everything!

Barked: Fri May 11, '07 4:19pm PST 
I generally use only organic fertilizers in my yard…however some dogs really like the smell and taste of organic fertilizers. Some dogs will dig up the plants and eat the soil if it has the organic fertilizer in it (bone meal is often a main ingredient). While the fertilizer probably won’t hurt the dog, the dog can do a lot of damage to the yard. Some chemical fertilizers have low or no odor so they may not attract the dogs like the organics do. It all really comes down to knowing your dog. And one also needs to think about what kind of a lawn and garden you can live with…golf course quality lawn, or just a lawn without big holes and foot tall weeds .

Here is what I have found to work in my yard:
I use an all purpose dry organic fertilizer when planting new plants, in my vegetable garden and on plants that look “hungry”. I put up a portable fence around all of the freshly fertilized plants for two to three weeks to keep the dogs from digging the fertilizer up.
I will sometimes use a liquid fertilizer like Miracle Grow or Peters if the plants need a quick burst of energy; my dogs are not attracted to it. I don’t use fish fertilizer…my dogs love it and will eat any plant with the fishy goodness on it.
I don’t fertilize my lawn, the dogs would go nuts for any organic fertilizer I used on it and using Miracle Grow or Peters on the lawn is not what I want to do (it needs to be reapplied too often and I really prefer organics). If you leave the grass clippings on the lawn (use a mulching mower with out the bag) the grass clippings will decompose into the lawn and create it’s own fertilizer.
One of the best things you can do for the lawn it so aerate it! You can rent a machine called a power core aerator the will remove plugs of soil from the lawn; the resulting holes will allow water to drain faster during the wet season and they will allow the irrigation water to sink into the soil in the summer. You can either leave the soil plugs on the lawn where they will slowly break down, or you can rake them up and add them to your compost pile; I rake them up from the back yard where the dogs play since the plugs can get muddy. Lawns that are used by dogs and kids can get compacted very quickly so aerating every year is a good idea.

One last tip: Use extreme care when fertilizing plants that are potentially poisonous! Plants that dogs wouldn’t think of eating can suddenly turn into delicious morsels when coated with fertilizer.
smile
[notify]
Fudge

How can I be- this cute?

Barked: Fri May 11, '07 10:07pm PST 
Berry: That's very interesting about the mulching lawn mowers. That's what we use for our lawn, and I've always wondered why the grass grows so quickly. smile

Meridian: When we moved into this house (also a rental), the backyard had hardly any grass in it. We bought a bag of grass seed, intending to throw it down at some point. We never got around to it.

Magically, the grass decided to grow back anyway. We did absolutely nothing for a while, and soon the yard had lots of (really tall) grass (except for a portion that's under a tree, so it gets no direct sunlight). Then we had to mow it, and since then it's needed regular mowing. It seems that grass is pretty resilient, and I'm not sure that fertilizer would be necessary for it to grow. I personally would just try the seed without fertilizer and see what happens. smile
[notify]

Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Sat May 12, '07 9:08am PST 
I forgot about the "composted" manure part. Since we don't have access to cows, Mom usually buys a bag from the store all ready to go.

Meridian, that is an interesting thought about raw-dog poop. Howl would you know it's in there? thinking I thought I read somewhere that raw-dog poop turns white and disappe[SMOKE!] Oh...sorry....that could have been an urpin' legend.

Vincent, we are looking for something that will grow in the shade, in semi-clay soil, without a lot of water. We'll look into that clover thing. We did have some growing by the air conditioner unit but Mom pulled it up.

Smoke, *loves gardening with Mom*
[notify]
Maya

Beg. It brings- treats.

Barked: Sat May 12, '07 3:49pm PST 
Look for turf-type fescue grass for shady areas that get little water. That is a specific tough grass that was developped for that. You can even buy it in sod, I think it's a 2' x 4' and you can buy a couple and set them there then it will spread by itself.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 7:42am PST 
I found this pretty good post and thought I would come back and put it up on this thread for those who are looking for some friendly options:

http://lawnfertilizerhq.com/discover-pet-safe-lawn-f ertilizer/
[notify]
Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 8:04am PST 
We use Milorganite. It is treated and processed sewer sludge, and it smells like it when you first apply it, although the odor goes after a day or so. You can't burn the lawn with it -- it is slow release.

Koorazh thinks this is the BEST idea I ever had, and runs out after an application to roll in the lawn . . . .

Edited by author Wed Jul 10, '13 8:04am PST

[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Thu Jul 11, '13 11:34pm PST 
We use alfalfa pellets. Cheap, easy to find, and completely safe. Plus, it works very well!

Edited by author Thu Jul 11, '13 11:36pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3