GO!

Reverse sneezing?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Bella Beans

Original Dogster- DIVA praying for- Rusty

Barked: Sun Jun 26, '05 7:39pm PST 
Please help me...my vet said that I am having this reverse sneeze thing. Has anyone heard of it before and is it dangerous. It really scares my mommy when it happens and I must admit I get very scared too. My mommy says it looks like I am having a terrible asthema attack.
Beans
[notify]
♥Stitch♥

I love my mom.

Barked: Sun Jun 26, '05 8:00pm PST 
Check out this forum for more info, I remember it from before. I done it for the first time this year. Mom thinks I snorted up dust & dirt outside because it happened just after I came in. My nose is to the ground all the time. Mom just rubbed my throat and tried to get me to drink water.
[notify]
Ronja

I love to roll- in smelly stuff!

Barked: Sun Jun 26, '05 8:38pm PST 
My previous dog, a rottweiler, did it all her life. We never knew what caused it and it was scary at first, but everone got used to it. Don't worry too much about it!
[notify]

Sterling

Yes, I am the- Center of the- Universe

Barked: Sun Jun 26, '05 9:01pm PST 
Bella Bean! My very first Dogster Pup Pal! smile

Reverse sneezing isn't as bad as it looks to humans. So that, for starters, is a good thing. They're right ... there is another thread on this topic somewhere in the health forum.

But Sterling reverse-sneezes whenever he's snorted too much dirt or a bug up his nose. Opal just does it sometimes ... the vet thinks she'll grow out of it, since she's just a puppy.

If Bella does it for extended periods though, it can be kind of like hiccups ... your breathing system just gets out of synch. This happens more often with short-nosed dogs. My parents have always been Lhasa Apso people, and they have that problem ...

This trick usually works:
1) Hold the dog next to you, or on your lap. Gently, you want them to be calm.
2) Wrap one arm around the dog to keep him/her still.
3) Use your other hand to gently grasp the dog's snout, holding their mouth closed. This will force the dog to breathe through its nose ... which after a minute or two, will in effect "reset" the dog's breathing.
4) Let go. Your dog should be breathing normally now.

Now if there's something WRONG with your dog, this won't work. But if the dog is just reverse-sneezing (I think it looks like the dog is hyperventillating) it SHOULD work.

Good luck, my original pup pal!
[notify]
Sterling

Barked: Sun Jun 26, '05 9:07pm PST 
I lied! I was wrong! Please, please forgive me!!

Bella Bean, you probably think I'm nuts! ... You're not my original pup pal. I got you mixed up with Coco Bean! smile An honest mistake, I swear. Two adorable toy poodles ... both named SOMETHING Bean! It's been a long day. So sorry! But the reverse sneezing info is still good, I swear.

You oughta check out Coco Bean though. You two should be pup pals. Here's Coco's page:
http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=15896&j=t
[notify]
Bella Beans

Barked: Mon Jun 27, '05 4:39pm PST 
Thank you all for your wonderful advise... Sterling, we just have to be pals now! Im coming to tag you.
[notify]
Bonny

The Boopster

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '05 12:30pm PST 
Our late Tasha used to do this, moreso as she got older. It could get bad enough that she had trouble standing....and she was always tense and frightened-looking when she did it. The vet said it was nothing to worry about, that it was not well-understood (a contradiction if there ever was one). We think it had to do with allergies, as she was an allergic dog and her "sneezing" got worse when she moved to a place with more allergens. Boss Lady would just stroke her throat gently and say "easy." She would relax immediately, and soon stop the sneezing. We disagree with the idea of holding the muzzle closed. The dog is scared enough...you don't want to make it feel more strangled than it is. Our boss lady has severe allergies, and she would freak if she was having an asthma attack and someone messed with her breathing passages. Her feeling about reverse sneezing is that the dog gets something -- dust, mucus, sand -- in the space between the nasal passages and the throat, and can't get it to move up or down. Resulting in feeling choked. She is not a vet, but she has had a similar experience with her own allergies, and she can tell you that it is not a nice feeling.
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '05 1:09pm PST 
I don't know about the short-nosed dogs, but holding regular nosed dogs' noses won't help, as they are already breathing out of their nose when reverse sneezing.

Reverse sneezing, when doing it over a period of time, like over a month or two, can usually be contributed to allergies. Keiko started doing this and did it for months before we figured out what it was from.

But beware, it can also be due to somthing caught up in the nasal passageway, such as a foxtail or grass.

I'm surprised your vet didn't give you any more information on it. Did he look in the nose with an otoscope? (thing they use to check ears) If not, he may think that it is caused by allergies. But in that case, he should have given you some options as to how to control it. Keiko is on medication for allergies and has not had any reverse sneezing since last year. But she had a pretty severe case. Gunther has reverse sneezed a few times here and there, but nothing to where I want to put him on medication for it.

Overall, if she is only doing it occasionally, then it should be nothing to worry about. If she gets a bout of doing it several times a day for several weeks, you should have her rechecked by a vet.
[notify]
Bella Beans

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '05 1:24pm PST 
I have since changed Vets, due to a whole other issue. I did not think of bringing up the issue to our new vet since it had not occured in such a long while. I will for sure ask him about it during her next visit.
Thanks again for all your knowledge and advise.
Beans Mommy
[notify]
Sterling

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '05 7:39pm PST 
Yes Keiko, you're right. They are breathing out of their noses when they do the "hyperventilating"/ reverse-sneeze thing ... BUT they're breathing in through their mouth. At least every dog I've ever seen do it, has been. And if it's just a condition the dog has, and NOT due to a foxtail or something in the nasal cavity, then yes, gently holding their mouth closed to force them to breathe in and out through their nose, does work. It's a common remedy in Lhasa show circles.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4