GO!

Vet wants me to crop the ears and tail....

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Haley

I wanna chew on- it!

Barked: Wed Nov 12, '08 9:40pm PST 
Our vet keeps trying to talk me into cropping her ears and tail. I am not sure how I feel about this. The breeder that I got her from did not do it so I just figured that she should look the way that she was born, especially when she is already a year old. I have refused for the past year but my husband thinks that we should do it. Just wanted some other opinions...

Edited by author Wed Nov 12, '08 11:25pm PST

[notify]
My hairy- kid's

Barked: Thu Nov 13, '08 3:06am PST 
Cropping is done between 8 and 12 weeks old as a rule, and the docking of tails is done at 3/4 days old so to dock an older dog will mean an operation, and not the banding method as in a tiny puppy, ear's can be done on older dogs but are not always successfull, if the puppys wasn't done when you bough it are you in a country where docking and cropping are legal!!!!!!!

Bilclarie
[notify]
Haley

I wanna chew on- it!

Barked: Thu Nov 13, '08 9:28am PST 
I live in the US and all of it is legal. I am just afraid to do it because I am afraid that it will hurt her. The breeder that she came from is a PETA member and told me that it was unethical.
[notify]

Lord Byron- the Rul

Bunnies....?

Barked: Thu Nov 13, '08 9:36am PST 
If it is the dog in the profile then definately not!

Docking needs done at just a couple days old. This is so they heal and they adjust because there nervous systems are not yet developed. To take it off now would be an amputation. If the dog was to have tail injuries that don't heal thats one thing but to do it just because isn't right. This is why all pups should be docked-because you never know who will end up with them and its such a little thing to have done when they are little.

I know people who couldn't get ears to stand on a dobe cropped young. It takes a lot of care and effort and after a certain age its just not going to work. I have seen vets put those horrible bat ears on dobes but it makes them look horrible. It is waaaay to late to have his ears done.

She was a pet shop dog-she had a sad beginning. Let her live without having to go through the surgery. Get her fixed and love her. This is why finding a good breeder is so important. She looks like she has some other breeds in her to and I doubt those ears would stand well even if cropped young. They sold her as pure dobe? I'd say lab/dobe.

Don't let your vet pressure you into anything. There are a lot of vets out there who don't know what they are doing with cropping and he apparently is one of them. tell him you were able to find info on ages to crop/dock and now is definately not an acceptable time. I would really look into a new vet if after that he still tries to push it. And if you ever get another dobe do not let this vet do is ears and please look into buying from a good breeder.

This is a great dobe forum were you can learn sooo much
http://www.dobermantalk.com/
And here is what to look for in a breeder if you ever find yourself looking again
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787

Edi ted to add-PETA members do not breed and PETA as a whole is a worthless organization so listening to a breeder who claims to belong to peta is not a good idea. Chances are the "breeder" didn't want to pay to have the dock done. This peta member told you they sell to this pet shop because its a good pet shop? Don't feel bad because a lot of us have at one point fallen for it but no pet shop dog came from a good breeder. No good breeder would sell to a pet shop.

Did they tell you this dog is a lab mix? I see your in the chocolate lab group and I saw that pup and thought lab mix. I really highly doubt he is a purebred.

Edited by author Thu Nov 13, '08 9:42am PST

[notify]
Haley

I wanna chew on- it!

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 10:00am PST 
We were told that she was a pure bred but I have had my doubts. I don't want to have her tail docked or her ears cropped and will be looking for another vet. Thanks for your help. Oh, we are in the chocolate lab group because my mother-in-law has one and asked us to join it with her. What I don't understand though is how her papers and everything says that she is a purebred if she is not. She is regestered AKC as a pure bred fawn doberman.
[notify]
Lord Byron- the Rul

Bunnies....?

Barked: Sun Nov 16, '08 7:49pm PST 
All the papers mean is her owners sent them in and said the dogs bred. No one from AKC checks. I see adds on craigslist all the time for a male dogs akc papers for sale. Usually what happens is someone adopts a dog with papers and since the papers may have been full registry they sell them to some horrible person with a unpapered lab and now they are magically registered.

And of course there are many were the wrong dog breeds the female and they send in the papers like it was a purebred anyway.

It doesn't matter though as long as she is fixed and a much loved pet. She is cute no matter what she is!!!
[notify]
Stinky

*insert fart- noise*

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 7:32pm PST 
Hi, my grandmother had a doberman and the person she got her from said she was purebred doberman, but she was a lot huskier than any doberman i have ever seen. We thought she might have had some rottweiler in her. You never really know it could just be a small amount of lab from grandparents or something. Also, she chose not to crop the tail or ears and we really loved her that way. It's just my opinion but I think it is pretty selfish and unethical to drasically change a dogs appearance like that so they look nice to some. I think you made the right decision! way to go
[notify]
Zeke

Zeke - rub my belly!

Barked: Sat Dec 26, '09 1:00pm PST 
I say keep the tail and the ears intact. I have had four Dobies, and three had intact ears. They look great on adult dogs. My last (recently deceased) had had his ears cropped by a complete amateur and they looked terrible. All had docked tails, but I would never have had it done if I had gotten the dogs before it was done. Certainly at your Dobie's age I would not do it. Keep them!
[notify]
Cooper- 1999-March- 13th, 2010

Hangin' with Mr.- Cooper

Barked: Thu Jan 7, '10 6:31pm PST 
It is way too late to have either done. What a strange thing for a vet to say. Hmmm....must be about the money then as to have to it done at this age would cost at least a thousand dollars and would be so painful for your pup.
[notify]
Beamer

Do I smell- Fooood?

Barked: Thu Feb 18, '10 11:34am PST 
Who was your breeder?

I've been trying to find a breeder that Wont Crop and Dock the tail and Ears. I want the dog to be natural, but I can't find a breeder that wont do it. I live in So. CA.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3