GO!

Miniature Dalmations?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bo

Love me best!

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '07 2:03pm PST 
This is a site we came across while researching Dalmations:
http://www.miniaturedalmatians.com/

Sounds like a crappy backyard breeder to me. They put the dogs outside in concrete runs, "to be in a natural setting" as soon as they are weaned - come on!
[notify]
Blaze

Go ahead, pet- me, I dare you.

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '07 7:07pm PST 
Ya know, I just looked at this site today. I love Dalmatians but am wanting a small dog in the near future. So I figured, Hey why not a Mini Dal?! Well that is until I looked at the price! For a female they want $1500 for a Mini and $2500 for a Toy. Excuse me?! They must be breeding something else with them considering they say that they have brindle spotted, tri color, and mosaics. I know these colors can appear in the Dal breed but they are rare.

They also state that they have bred out deafness and kidney stones. Well, that can't be true if you are breeding a Dal to a Dal. At least not the kidney stones.

Also on the site it says that if you fly in, they will pick you up from the airport in their limo. Sorry if I'm paying that much, you better come to my HOUSE and pick me up!!!
[notify]
Levi

Just gimme a- KISS!

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '07 7:31pm PST 
Gene Connelle is well known to the dog show world. As near as we can figure out, he's breeding something like a Chihuahua and a Dalmatian. Several have been to his place, none were impressed. I've also not seen any evidence that he does any testing to back up his claim that he's "bred out" health issues. He's breeding mutts, plain and simple. While it would be cute to have a mini dal, they just aren't toy dogs. Their whole demeanor does not fit a toy breed. Meanwhile, we (dog show community) ARE working to breed out as much as we can by selective breeding, testing and just plain doing educated breedings. So if you're tempted to support his breeding, please think again. Not that I think any of you are nutz enough to pay his price! smile Toni

Edited by author Fri Jan 25, '08 9:22am PST

[notify]

Dasha

Smiles and- Wiggles

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 10:26am PST 
I'm sorry, but most of those mini and toy Dals look like they are mixed with something - they don't look like pure bred Dals. Not that I look like the AKC standard - I know that I am a little stocky and I've got a little too much loose skin. And only liver spots and black spots are acceptable colors with the AKC. I am a little puzzled with the people who want to make new breeds instead of concentrating on purifying the existing ones. Or, if they want a challenge, become a foster home that places rescues in good homes. And I don't know of any Dals that don't want to come inside and be with their humans. We really need more homes for existing dogs rather than new breeds and more new dogs. Let's place the existing unwanted dogs in loving homes first!
[notify]
Cookie

The- canine- vacuum.

Barked: Sat Sep 27, '08 6:11am PST 
Gosh, those are just dalmatian/small breed mixes where the Dal's color is dominant. That one looks like a fiest/dal laugh out loud They are very misleading by saying they are minature dalmatian's, like they are purebred or something. I'm mixed and my mom sure didn't pay that much for me BOL
[notify]
Orion

Will work for- cookies!

Barked: Tue Oct 14, '08 7:37pm PST 
I was skeptical also. But I have been to this gentlemans kennel twice in the past 3 years and I now own a miniature dalmatian. He is legit. He originally bred standards and has bred them down for the mini and toy size. I have seen all his dogs. He takes very good care of his kennel and loves all his dogs.
[notify]
Madison Marjorie

Serenity Now

Barked: Mon Dec 1, '08 3:29pm PST 
Orion, you're joking right? I mean I don't even own a Dal, and sadly have never had the pleasure of even meeting one in person and even I can tell that those dogs are NOT purebred Dalmatians.

Nothing about his site looks responsible in anyway. What about the kennel club that he claims? That is not a legit club. What health testing does he do, are his dogs titled, what is his reason for breeding them this way, who else is he working with to form a standard etc..

Don't kid yourself this guy is not doing anything responsible, and is a disgrace to all Dal owners.

Also there is a thread going on now here at Dogster about this same guy. Here
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Choosing_the_Right_Dog/thread/57 8552
clicky

ETA - your pup is cute but is not a purebred Dal.

Edited by author Mon Dec 1, '08 3:30pm PST

[notify]
Birdy

Princess- Birdykins

Barked: Mon Dec 1, '08 9:01pm PST 
NO way are they purebred Dals. NO WAY. The toys look like glorified spotted Chi's.

I mean Orion, your pupsister has NO spots. They'd have been in by now. Not that she isn't cute, but there are so many homeless doggies out there.

My mommy found me on petfinder.
[notify]
Orion

Will work for- cookies!

Barked: Sat Dec 6, '08 5:36pm PST 
ya know. Harper does have spots now actually. wether he bred them down from dalmatians or mixed them with another breed. how do you think other breeds came to be? australian sheps and pointers were at one time bred with dalmatians. that would be why they have spots and why deafness runs in those breeds as well. have you been to his kennel? I have, a few times. was impressed with him and his house/kennel/dogs. Harper is my 3rd dal. My older dal that passed in feb 08, she was a show dog and we did see small dals at shows. like 30-40lbs.
[notify]
Madison Marjorie

Serenity Now

Barked: Sat Dec 6, '08 8:07pm PST 
I don't have to go to his kennel. His website makes it more then clear that what he is doing is not responsible. The argument of all breeds are mixed is old and a bit annoying. For one they were different times. They were also bred with a purpose in mind for them. A lot of thought went into what would be bred with what and what would be done to continue getting that. There was a purpose. Today just as then there should be a purpose. It is a long and tedious road to make a new breed. Look at the Alaskan Klee Kai.

I'm happy you love your pup and you should. Just know, learn, and understand why the breeder you bought him from is doing bad by the Dalmatian breed and shouldn't be supported.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2