GO!

Digging Gachshund!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Chalie Brown

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 10:28pm PST 
Why does my new mini Dash dig?
He could be sitting on my lap or on the couch and its like hes looking for something just dig, dig, digs!!??
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 8:51am PST 
It's because he was bred for digging! Dachshunds were originally used as hunters, and the smooth-coated ones specifically for going into burrows to hunt badgers and rabbits. Their claws are excellent for digging out the burrows sufficiently so they can get inside.

Your Doxie is acting on instinct that is a part of his ancestry. You should try letting him find ground squirrels or gopher holes if you have any near you.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 11:38am PST 
My mini dachshund used to do the exact same thing when he was a puppy. This is because their natural instinct is to hunt because they were bred to be hunting dogs. He doesn't do that any more because he is getting olderlaugh out loud
[notify]