GO!

How do I get my Dachshunds to sleep through the night?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 2:38pm PST 
My Dachshunds are approx. 12 & 13 years old. Not sure since we adopted them. I love them dearly but having recently been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia (me, not them!), it's imperative that I get 8 hours of undisturbed sleep. Unfortunately, they get up at least 3 - 4 times a night to go out. A doggy-door is not an option. I have tried not letting them drink after 9 p.m. but then they get up looking for their water bowl. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm desperate! Thanks.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '12 8:51am PST 
Hopefully by now you have figured out something to do with your dogs at night to help them sleep. However, if you have not found a solution yet I have some advice for you! I have not created my account in full yet, but I own a daschund myself and have had her for ten years. It may be difficult to train your older dogs, but daschunds prefer and need to sleep alone at night. My dog has her own pet carrier she sleeps in at night. Daschunds are dogs that love to burrow and sleep with blankets. It is better for them to not sleep out in the house or even with a person because they are individuals and need that "personal space". Also, if you have a large pet carrier they could probably learn to sleep together, especially if they have been together all their lives. Hope this helps!!
[notify]