GO!

Collie Question

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Tue Sep 17, '13 5:36pm PST 
I am considering a collie pup. I had one as a child and just loved her.

Here's my dilemma: I'm in my late 50's. I have had injuries on both shoulders in the past from other dogs yanking on leash. I did not need surgery, but had frozen shoulder, tendonitis, rotator cuff partial tear, lots of PT. My hubby is afraid that the collie is just too big and if he pulls, I will be injured again.

How are they on leash?

Thanks for any input!
[notify]
Oberon

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 8:07am PST 
Hi! I have a smooth collie who is six months old at present. The size of the dog is less important than this: training.

My puppy kindergarten and puppy graduate classes had a wild FOUR collies in them! Two of which were owned and handled by sweet ladies in their 70s. We started loose leash walking and manners right then and there are roughly 12 weeks old, so even though Oberon now weighs 40 pounds and is still growing, he's incredibly easy to manage. If you aren't willing to take your collie puppy to at least two levels of obedience classes (or do the equivalent on your own if you've done it before), I would skip getting a puppy or choose a smaller breed.

That said? My collie (And most of the other collies I've met through my breeder friend) are sweet, delightful, polite dogs on and off lead. Oberon was never allowed to start pulling even as a tiny baby, so the result is that today he walks gently at my side. I know when he sees someone jogging or another dog that he wants to go see them and play badly, but I gently correct him with "leave it" and we go on our way. Obee could easily pull me to the ground at forty pounds(I weigh 115), but he never has. If you're concerned about teaching a puppy how to loose-leash walk, consider adopting an adult from a rescue or a breeder. Adult collies aren't going to be so prone to testing boundaries or forgetting how to walk nice randomly (teen hormones, what are ya gonna do?) like a puppy. Plus most of them already know all their manners and obedience.
[notify]