GO!

A dog with a destiny

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Sat Oct 19, '13 6:28pm PST 
How about a Sheltie? A sable Sheltie looks like Lassie and they are great little watchdogs. The were originally bred to keep the free-ranging sheep on the Shetland Islands out of the cottage gardens, done primarily by barking. I have no doubt that they would protect your Mom if needed. They also bond very closely to their humans and are gentle dogs.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Oct 20, '13 4:12am PST 
Thanks for the great advice!

EXTRA INFORMATION

--------SIZE

Well the kind of dog she wants is actually a pretty large dog (labrador, golden retriever, with max size something like a bernese). We have a big garden in a nice green neighbourhood, so there are a lot of places where the dog can run free. She likes bigger dogs as they make her feel safe, she really does want a guard dog, but given her health, a nice, gentle one seems desirable. A newfy looks awesome but is a tad too big.

------ EXPERIENCE

We never had a dog before. Two troublemaking sons were demanding enough!

------ SHEDDING

She's not a big fan of shedding, though, being the caring type, she'll probably love grooming.

A cuddly dog is favorable, but a dog that can be independent as well. She works part-time so the dog will be alone every morning in the weekdays.

-----ACTIVITY LEVEL
She goes walking every day, but defenitly never goes running (because of the hip).

-----OTHER

We have a cat, an awesome cat, so the will have to get along.

----POSSIBLE CANDIDATES I RESEARCHED:

>Golden retriever:
Awesome dog, but not guardy enough?

> Labrador retriever:
my gf has one, very high energy)

>Scottish collie:
High Maintenance, though still a possible candidate

>Bernese:
Keeps the puppy mentality for a long time apparantly

>Newfy:
Fits the bill, but a bit too large

----TIPS FROM YOUGUYS

>General consensus:
Adopt an older dog as the temprament will be more predictable.

>Breed:
not really important

Excuse me if I make language mistakes, English is not my mother tongue.

Thank you!
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Oct 20, '13 5:26am PST 
Actually, your English is pretty good, because I never suspected it wasn't your mother tonguesmile

I agree with the older , rescue dog with known temperament, preferably black wink However, a specific breed that I think might work is a well bred Doberman from a good breeder. I was also going to suggest Sheltie until you gave us more detailway to go

ETA here is some info on Dobermans. You have to copy and paste and be sure to take out any spaces:

http://www.digitaldog.com/dog_breed/Doberman Pinscher

Edited by author Sun Oct 20, '13 5:32am PST

[notify]

"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Sun Oct 20, '13 8:07am PST 
A Smooth Collie! The do shed but as a short haired dog they are good with frequent brushing. Collies are GREAT watch dogs but gentle and they become VERY bonded with their people.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Oct 20, '13 1:38pm PST 
I think some of the breeds on your list could work if you found the right adult individual. It's fine, and perfectly understandable, to have breed preferences, but when you're looking at getting an adult, it's important to look at the individual and not just their breed.

For instance, I've had two Golden Retrievers. The first one was the calmest, most laid back, perfect dog for a first time owner. Looking back, I think he was born with the soul of an old dog. The second Golden was the complete opposite. Tons of energy, needed a lot of exercise, very sweet dog, but very rambunctious. She actually did pull my mother over in pursuit of some ducks at the park. She's 10 now and she still has tons of energy and loves to run and retrieve. Same breed, totally different dogs.

Protectiveness, too, can be highly individual. Many dogs (including some Goldens) will bark enough at a threat that most people aren't going to want to find out if the dog will back up its threats. Bunny's comment about getting a black dog isn't just bias either wink People do perceive blacks dogs as more intimidating and, in my experience, as larger than they are (I get a lot of "what a big dog!" with Onyx and someone thought he was 120 lbs once...he's a lean 75).

I'll put in a plug for the German Shepherd, but that's a breed where you'd definitely want to look for an adult with a known temperament. GSDs are loving, eager to please, and the ultimate family protector, but their adolescent years can be long and difficult, which makes them not the best choice for most first time owners. If you got an adult from a good rescue, preferably a dog that's been fostered, you could find one that's past the rough teenager phase, lower energy, good with cats, and trained in basic obedience and walking nicely on a leash. Given that they're such a popular breed, there are a lot of rescues with a lot of dogs to choose from. Even if you got the odd GSD that wasn't very protective, the breed has enough of a reputation that anyone with ill intentions will steer clear. They do shed, but so do all the breeds on your list, and the coat requires no maintenance other than an occasional brushing to remove loose fur.

Edited by author Sun Oct 20, '13 1:49pm PST

[notify]
Sasha

Better watch- yourself!

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 1:09pm PST 
I'll have to second Bunny's vote on a doberman. While it didn't initially come to mind with your wants, there are many things that fit. They're known to be "velcro" dogs, very bonded to their owners. Naturally protective with very deterring looks. Mine looves to cuddle and doesn't shed a whit. However my only concern would be energy level. Sasha is EXTRemely energetic, can bike 5 miles without slowing down. However she does have a good off switch in the house. I have a backpack for walks to give her a job and more of a workout. So i'm sure if you found an adult that isn't prime of life rambo like this girl is, it could work out very well dog walk
[notify]

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 11:12am PST 
Thanks for the kind replies! T'will be food for thought!
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Oct 27, '13 8:27pm PST 
IMHO I third an older Dobielittle angelBest of luck!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2