GO!

The Wisdom Panel DNA Results...

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 5:50pm PST 
I was inspired by this thread and emailed Mars a few weeks ago to inquire about having his blood re-run with their new panel.

Two weeks later and the results are in:

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1375816_3488 89658590593_527096718_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/h photos-prn2/1377160_348889715257254_1410728880_n.jpg

Not sure what to think about that laugh out loud
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 7:46pm PST 
They really like Hershey as a CKCS and Dalmatian don't they? laugh out loud

I was speaking with someone and they mentioned how with time it is bound to get better - wider database of purebreds will give them more genetic markers to compare with. But it's not likely to be super accurate any time in the near future.

Did they take a new sample for Hershey, or was it one they kept from the previous time?
I know DNA is only really viable for a few months at room temp before it starts denaturing so that may be something...

Business day 13 of 21 that I'm waiting on now laugh out loud
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 8:13pm PST 
It was from a few years ago. They said it was still viable. thinking Maybe they kept some of the blood sample that was sent?

Edited by author Mon Oct 21, '13 8:14pm PST

[notify]

Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 8:23pm PST 
The results make it seem like his father's ancestry had a show dalmatian that jumped the fence and found a Cavalier/Shar Pei to get with..
and his mother was a Shepherd/Heinz 57 bol big laugh

I can see that happening, since his littermates all looked pretty different. He's also from Virginia, and multibreed puppy mills aren't uncommon..

Here's a dog thought to be a Cavalier/Shar Pei as a fun visual http://www.adoptapet.com/pet/7800625-newport-vermont-shar-pei-mix
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 8:44pm PST 
Why can I not edit? Booo dogster naughty laugh out loud

I discovered just now that Shar Pei can be chocolate, and also long haired. Who knew shrug
http://archive.sharpeikennel.cz/details.php?id=96694
This guy also doesn't have any chocolate in his family tree, wwhich is weird, because I thought both parents had to be chocolate for a dog to be?
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 9:28pm PST 
Don't know anything about Shar Peis specifically, but color genetics vary breed to breed. For instance, solid black is dominant in Labs but recessive in German Shepherds. I would guess with that Shar Pei both parents carried one recessive chocolate gene, and the puppy got both of those recessive genes, so he's chocolate. That's what can happen with Labs anyway; two black Labs each carrying a recessive gene for chocolate can have chocolate puppies.

Edited by author Mon Oct 21, '13 10:19pm PST

[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Wed Oct 23, '13 4:23pm PST 
Got a call today shrug

I wish I wrote down everything she said, I may get some wrong but this is what I remember.
Basically they use 3 major groupings. There's the ancient group (nordic/spitz included here), the Europe group (mostly herding and hounds), and ....I forget the third.
And then from there sometimes the breeds are not always accurate themselves so if they say one type of hound, but it may be another or something.

She re-ran the results in the Australian database, and had beagle come up - which is their explanation for why she is small.
The explanation for the ears is that they are big because of the hound influence, but pricked because it's a dominant trait from the GSD and Husky.

The explanation for her herding style is that because of the hound and husky prey drive influence, the GSD herding traits become "more aggressive"
Ummmmmm shrug

Either way, The words I got "For Kelpie lovers, a small, black and tan dog with perked ears and herding ability will of course look like a Kelpie to them."
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Oct 25, '13 4:15am PST 
Uhmmm ....

Damn, now I want to get Jackson done, just to see what it says. thinking I mean I know he's pure so we'd know at the very least if this testing is screwed or not. It's such a weird result ... If it is true the only thing I can think of is that she's such a mutt she's reverted to a dog of type than can look very kelpie-ish.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Oct 25, '13 7:50am PST 
Mutt of a mutt I can believe. Dominant traits with sort of a "natural" size.

But she's got a lot of kelpie and general herding breed personality/temperament - of course from the few kelpies I've met and what I've read up on. (Getting her on sheep next month ideally!!)And while I get that "kelpie enthusiasts will assume kelpie" you'd figure that the several kelpie breeders and owners that have met her personally wouldn't all say the same thing.

They're really pushing the GSD, Husky, and Hound though. Which could lead me to believe she's the small product of some Alaskan Husky type sled dog operation?
But if she really proves to have some excellent herding instinct, I can't viably believe she's the mix they are telling me she is. So few GSDs even possess a proper herding instinct anymore it seems, and the only other herding breed in there was the slight slight percent of Sheltie. shrug

I've put out a few feelers for the original breeder in the off chance something pops up. I've found one person that actually might be promising.
[notify]
Snoopy

Little Dude

Barked: Fri Oct 25, '13 12:34pm PST 
Snoopy's results came back as a Dachshund crossed with a Cocker Spaniel, which does seem really accurate, but I also know that a lot of other dogsters have had whacky results.

I was looking at Rigby's pictures. Just based on the results, I could possibly see GSD/Husky X GSD Beagle maybe with some Sheltie thrown in somewhere.... the beagle could explain the ticking and size? BUT I could also buy, BC, ACD, Kelpie, etc.

A few different breed mixes could probably create a dog that looks similar Kelpie Mix right? Even the black and tan Husky GSD mixes can look "similar" to black and tan Kelpies, but heavier built with longer/fluffier fur. So if you cross that with a lighter breed/mix with shorter fur you could get a little Kelpie looking Rigby? laugh out loud As far as temperament goes though... shrug

Edited by author Fri Oct 25, '13 12:44pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4