GO!

The Wisdom Panel DNA Results...

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 5:24pm PST 
I was given the test as a "gift" for helping out with a class some months back.

She is "German Shepherd Dog / Siberian Husky Mix crossed with German Shepherd Dog Mix"

With:
Bluetick Coonhound 15.51%
Dogue de Bordeaux 13.70%
Shetland Sheepdog 9.03%
American English Coonhound 3.45%
Miniature Schnauzer 2.43%

shrug

She weighs 29lbs.
Her personality is that of a "soft" herding dog. But she certainly has the herding drive.
She has a short, sleek, dense coat.

To me, it seems more like they found a few pictures of her online and shoved a breed at random in to account for each trait.

GSD - The markings, the overall structure of her
Husky - The undercoat and markings
Coonhounds - Blue Ticking on her chest, red ticking on her feet
Mastiff - ???
Sheltie - Size maybe?
Mini Schnauzer - Size and coat length?

shrugshrugshrug

Personally, I don't buy it. Her temperament and instinct are nothing like a husky or hound.
She's too small to have such a tiny percentage of the smaller breeds in her.

Just wanted to share.
[notify]
Fenrir

Veni Vidi Nom

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 9:23pm PST 
I can't say I have much faith in them myself. My mystery mutt came back from Wisdom Panel as 25% Chow, 25% Old English Sheepdog, some Sheltie, and then a bunch of uncommon terrier breeds. I really can't see a single one of the breeds they listed in him, physically or in temperament.

I would have been more likely to accept Rigby's results for Fenrir. Wanna trade? laugh out loud

Edited by author Thu Sep 26, '13 9:26pm PST

[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Sep 27, '13 3:16am PST 
laugh out loud
I'd definitely be more inclined to believe Rigby's results on Fenrir!
Actually come to think of it, with all the small breeds in there I'd likely take Fenrir's results as Rigby's a little more seriously as well.

Deal, let's trade! laugh out loud

I hate that the person who gave me this is so faithful in them. Now when I go back to help her out with classes and stuff again, Rigby is going to be known as a German Shepherd Husky mix...which again she's only 29lbs. She looks tiny when placed next to either of those breeds, not to mention she's terrified of GSDs and dislikes Huskies both due to their play styles shrug

If they really had to throw the GSD in, I would have gladly taken GSD x ACD mix shrug
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sat Sep 28, '13 4:04am PST 
Also be aware kelpie does not come up on wisdom, and furthermore can come out as all sorts of bizarre combinations. Although I'm surprised there is no collie blood there at all ...
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Sat Sep 28, '13 6:49pm PST 
Your results look like mine did! big laugh

I had the Wisdom panel MX done a few years ago:

SHOULD see traits: --
MAY see traits: Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Dalmatian
SLIGHT CHANCE of traits: Bloodhound, Chinese Shar-Pei, Flat Coated Retriever, Labrador Retriever

big laugh
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Tue Oct 1, '13 5:07am PST 
JT - their list now says Kelpie from what I saw? Either way though, don't kelpies have a bit of ACD in their lineage? I figured at least that would show up.

Hershey Bear - big laugh That's totally crazy. I may not be an expert...but only a slight chance of Lab? He's lookin' pretty labby to me!

If GSDs were known for the heading style of herding, I'd probably relax a bit. But it becomes more and more apparent the more I learn about herding instinct and the more Rig develops confidence.
Run ahead, body block, run ahead, body block....

I emailed them and explained that she's way too small, and her coat is wrong (short dense and waterproof? Which of those breeds have that?), and that I'm pretty sure she has the irish spotting pattern which is known in Border Collies, Aussies, and a fer other herding breeds but entirely recessive so 2 copies, one from each side would be needed.
And her temperament is just wildly conflicting with the major breeds they have listed.

While I've met some great examples of each of the breeds listed. There isn't a single one that appeals to me, or that I would want to own. And not a single one I see in Rig - aside from maybe the excessive barking that I've seen so common in Shelties laugh out loud

Their response was that they are going to send the pictures to the vets who did the testing so they can explain exactly how it's possible shrug
So we'll see how that works out laugh out loud

Edited by author Tue Oct 1, '13 5:09am PST

[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Wed Oct 2, '13 9:54am PST 
Alright, so their initial response was the vet team will explain to me in 1-3 business days after reviewing the photos...

Got a response today "A Veterinarian on our Science Team had a chance to look at Rigby’s results and the photograph(s). At this time, they would like me to inform you that we will be escalating their case for an in-depth re-analysis where they will manually evaluate the raw data.
The escalation process takes approximately 21 business days and is free of charge."

I guess that's something? shrug
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Oct 3, '13 2:51pm PST 
"Got a response today "A Veterinarian on our Science Team had a chance to look at Rigby’s results and the photograph(s). At this time, they would like me to inform you that we will be escalating their case for an in-depth re-analysis where they will manually evaluate the raw data.
The escalation process takes approximately 21 business days and is free of charge." "
This is one of the things that drives me crazy about these tests. MANY people on here have questioned the results and Wisdom Panel always "reanalyzes" the results (with pictures, no less), and suddenly you have a completely DIFFERENT mix????
If they are actually reading DNA that is impossible since it doesn't change after they see a photo. DNA is DNA is DNA.
I sure wouldn't spend MY money on one of the tests, and yes, it was a friend of mine who sent her Champion, purebred dog's DNA in to wisdom and it came back a mix of mixes. I won't mention the breed, but it is a popular breed and since she had bred all the dogs in this pedigree back about 8 generations she KNEW he wasn't a mix of mixes.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Thu Oct 3, '13 4:45pm PST 
I've known of a few people to send their well documented purebred's DNA in and got wrong results. Had I not gotten this as a gift from a close friend and mentor that I am hoping to work more with in the future, I would have swabbed Cobain instead, just to see.

My first speculation started when I saw they had 3 different types of tests.
Purebreds, Designer Mixes, and Shelter dogs.

If they were truly accurate, would they not only need one test? shrug

Either way, I didn't pay for it so I suppose I can't really complain.

*Re rolls the dice* Come onn Kelpie laugh out loud
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Oct 3, '13 5:26pm PST 
That's why I never bothered to ask for a retest on Fenrir; figured they'd just tell me what looked most likely based on pictures. I can get that on Dogster for free and probably with better accuracy laugh out loud The funny thing is, he was labeled as a Chow mix at the shelter. I asked the woman bringing him out for us what the deal with that was and she said it must be a mislabel. So after I got those results back, my mother thought maybe he did have Chow after all since it came back 1/4 Chow. I'm much more inclined to think it's a weird coincidence.

I did mine before they had the three different tests, but even then they tried to cover themselves by saying the test wasn't "designed for purebreds". I'm guessing it was exactly because people sent in their pedigreed purebreds' DNA just to prove the test wrong.

Looking at their site, it appears they've changed their tests again. Apparently they have Wisdom Panel 2.0 now which purports to do mixed, designer, and purebred identification, but I think you still have to tell them which one you want done. 2.0 can tell you "level of genetic diversity inbreeding" in your purebred; a bit hard to believe when they don't yet seem to have mastered identifying different breeds. They're really milking this for all it's worth (or perhaps a lot more).

Most interestingly: "Optimal Selection™ is a tool to help breeders choose more optimal pairings by using cutting edge genetic technology to look beyond pedigrees, examine the chromosomes of potential breeding matches, and make more educated selections." Seems like it could actually be useful, especially for subpar breeders, if there was any accuracy to it.

Edited by author Thu Oct 3, '13 5:32pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4