GO!

Tell me More About the American Pit Bull Terrier??

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Brooklyn

Barked: Tue Sep 24, '13 7:53pm PST 
Hey guys have not been on here for awhile been very busy with the rescue I work for. Anyways I got a new foster puppy and she is a pit bull mix. I don't know a ton about the breed but have been reading the history on them and trying to learn a lot about them. This is my first foster puppy that is a pit bull mix, I love her she is extremely sweet and calm for being so young. She is very smart and I have taught her sit,down,wait,spin,shake,and crawl and she is doing very well with loose leash walking around the neighborhood. I do have some questions that I hope cab be answered.

Are Pit Bulls more prone to Same sex aggression?

Do pit bulls have a rougher style of playing with dogs?

Brooklyn can play very rough with bigger dogs her hackles go up and she will get on top of them and ferociously growl and her eyes are wide. I always call her away and make her wait and do some commands when she gets too rough.
but she plays great with my small dog and never gets that rough with him so I consider that a good sign.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Tue Sep 24, '13 8:12pm PST 
?????
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Sep 24, '13 9:01pm PST 
Yes, Pits are more prone to developing SSA and DA as they mature than some other breeds. Not something I would worry much about with a puppy, but worth making sure any potential adopters are aware of.

And yes, they do often play rough. I would let her play with balanced, social dogs that will correct her appropriately if you can. If she doesn't heed a fair correction, then step in before things escalate.

Mulder's Dog Breed Directory has quite a list of Pit specific threads if you're interested in more in-depth info.
[notify]

Charley - R.I.P my- Handsome boy

Barked: Wed Sep 25, '13 10:16am PST 
Just with my own experience with Charley, He got along great with other dogs and cats and he never played rough. Not even when he got together with his brother and cousin. He was exceptionally gentle with Lil Girl,my beagle,you can go to his page and see how much he loved her, and he was great with kids. Yes, they are very smart. I brought him home when he was 5 weeks old and @ 6 weeks old he learned how to give paw and sit and knew to go to the back door when he had to potty. I can go on an on about the things he knew but I don't want to make a novel out of this post. The only thing besides my leg that he would hump would be his favorite cat Scooter. He didn't have a mean bone in his body but he was a very good judge of character and if you weren't a good person, he'd let me know. It pisses me off to no end that these dogs are labeled.

Edited by author Wed Sep 25, '13 10:19am PST

[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Wed Sep 25, '13 12:57pm PST 
Yes, they can be more prone to DA and SSA. This is not to say this particualr dog will be guaranteed to have any of those, many never display them at all. Kolbe does not play especially rough but I know many who do. Try to find a playmate with a similar play style...plus still being a puppy some of that could just be puppyness and not understanding limits yet.
[notify]
Oliver

Gotta love me !

Barked: Wed Sep 25, '13 5:51pm PST 
What I did with Oliver was socialize the heck out of him the first 2 yrs. of his life, I took him to PetSmart every week and also let him play with lots of good gentle dogs. He is great with any dogs now.
[notify]
Sam

My Sammi

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 1:33pm PST 
Petey, (sp?), from the Little Rascals was a Pit Bull. Yep, hung out with all those kids. Back in the day, Pitts were one of the most popular family dog breeds. They are very trainable; even to the point of regulating their energy level and play tendencies. They are extremely affectionate, and ubber-pleasers! Our daughter has three of them, and they fall all over each other trying to please whomever. We have a Boxer/Pit mix, and Sammi of course, an 8 pound Shi Tzu, and a 9 pound cat who thinks she's one of the dogs. All the Shi Tzu has to do is look at the bigger ones and they bow to her industrial strength attitude! But the bigger ones will play hard, for sure! However, they have been trained to stop instantly at the command "BREAK". It was relatively easy, and they have learned degrees of play. a soft "break" means dial it down a notch. A firm "BREAK" means give it a rest for awhile. In the 70's it was Dobermans, in the 80's it was Rotties, now it's Pitties who get the bad rap. In reality, It's the owner who makes the dog. blue dog
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 2:16pm PST 
I have yet to meet a pit bull that didn't like playing rough.laugh out loud

But I have met plenty of pitties who loved playing and meeting other dogs of various sexes. They may be prone to dog aggression, but that doesn't make it 100%, so I would not focus on it and just handle the pup like any other pup, lots of positive interaction with various things.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Sep 27, '13 11:48am PST 
Keep a couple of things in mind here.

The "true" American Pit Bull Terrier is, as its name implies, a terrier. Terriers, as a group, have a lot of prey drive, a lot of drive in general, and most are very strong minded, tenacious dogs.

These are good qualities, but do lend themselves to a lot of what people consider "undesirable" behavior.

Dog aggression, specifically same sex aggression, is very common among terriers as a whole, and Pits are no exception. That same feisty, drivey, intense personality that is so valuable in the breed, is also the direct link to the breed's attitude towards other animals. Also because of this, even the ones who are not inherently aggressive towards other dogs, ARE vivacious and rough players, which can quickly escalate if not managed properly. Remember, most bully breeds were bred for baiting of one sort or another, meaning they had to have the ability and desire to stay on a target (be it a bull, other livestock, or another dog), so "backing down" isn't a concept they always understand.

THAT SAID, most of what gets marketed today as an APBT IS NOT what the breed is "proper". Many of the dogs bred now are not "correct" of that type, are softer, more agreeable, and not as terrier-like. THIS IS A GOOD THING for the vast majority of people, considering it is this type that often wind up in shelters and in need of homes. Because of this, its very important to evaluate each of these dogs as an individual, and pass no judgments on them until a time where they start showing signs where perhaps you need to be paying more attention. These dogs usually don't reach sexual maturity until 2-3 years old, and a very sweet, agreeable puppy might not start showing signs of DA/SSA until 18, 24, even 36 months of age.

For now, go by what she is giving you. If she is a calm, agreeable, easy going puppy... roll with it. Nurture that side of her and do not give her the opportunity to practice behaviors that might later lend themselves to undesirable traits. Basically, do what you should do with any dog, and don't worry about it unless she gives you a reason to.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Sep 29, '13 8:18am PST 
From personal experience my dogs get along beautifully with puppies and small dogs of any gender. The problem comes with dogs equal to their size or bigger. They seem to tailor their energy to the size of their playmate. If another dog is the same size they seem to assume it has the same play style they do.

A great many dogs play by chasing and rolling. Bully play is more like a football game, alot of running and crashing into each other...then falling into a panting, happy, heap when they're worn out. You have to carefully supervise play with other dogs so things don't get too rough.

Pit bulls are also famous for 'The Zoomies", spirited racing through the house and yard. Daily regular exercise can help wind them down a bit.

Edited by author Sun Sep 29, '13 8:26am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2