GO!

Frustrations with a dog shelter

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Juno

Barked: Sat Sep 21, '13 5:49am PST 
I'm getting a bit frustrated with the shelter I want to adopt a puppy from. The shelter seemed eager to have me adopt and we set the date for Saturday (at least for me to see the puppy and the mother.)

Well the shelter had an event on Friday morning and it was incredibly hot. I went, it was a nice event but the weather got in the way. Anyways, I contacted the shelter when I got home since they don't advertise their location and I need the address. The woman I have been in contact with told me that due to the event the volunteers are going to be taking the day off on Saturday and I can come see the puppy NEXT Saturday...

Now she did say it was possible for me to come by on Sunday but none of the volunteers will be there, just caretakers. I didn't mind but no one is answering the phone number she gave me so I still don't have the address...

I am getting frustrated and I am getting very worried. Every thing I read about puppies says the first 8-12 weeks is very important for socialization. Is it wrong for me to worry about having to wait a whole week and possibly lose out on properly socializing the puppy? Keep in mind I don't even know how old the puppy is, so every time I wait I feel like the idea of a properly socialized puppy keeps slipping away....

Argh, I don't know what I am asking, maybe I am just venting, but do I have the right to be annoyed and fearful of what's happening? Am I being silly and the puppy can still be socialized if I miss out on the week and end up adopting him at say 14 weeks? I don't know what to do
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Sat Sep 21, '13 7:00am PST 
So you're not adopting Juno? (just wondering because it says that on her page...)

It sounds like the shelter has the puppy with the Mom and littermates. That's good and is some of the most important socialization he/she could be getting right now.

Why don't you know the age of the puppy you are considering adopting?
Juno

Barked: Sat Sep 21, '13 8:39am PST 
No, unfortunately. I fostered her for a few days but I wasn't able to keep her unfortunately. I love her to bits however and wish to adopt her whenever I get the chance to move to a proper house of my own.

As for the other puppy, I kept messaging the shelter questions but they haven't been answering that one specific question, which is weird because they answered all my other questions. I have asked it a few times but admittedly it was sandwiched in with other questions as well.
[notify]

Juno

Barked: Sat Sep 21, '13 9:25am PST 
She messaged me back! Apparently they are 2 months old. I can rest a bit easier now. I dont feel as guilty since there is still a decent 'socializing' window, right?
[notify]
Dandelion

helloooo....! - i\'m TALKING to- you!!!!!

Barked: Sat Sep 21, '13 1:01pm PST 
seriously? that "socialization window" is bollocks.

the only reason puppies and kittens are given out at 8 wks is because that's when they're the cutest and most likely to appeal to impulse buyers.

think about it: if 8 to 12 wks is the "socialization window", then dogs would never be able to find new homes because they wouldn't be able to bond to new caregivers and older puppies would have to be put down because they'd never be friendly with cats and dogs and the like.

from my own experience working with pet rescue some years ago, this is absolutely not true.

what counts is the dedication and attention of the owner - doesn't matter if the dog is 8wks or 8 years - once that bond with the owner is there, the dog will do everything it can to meet its owner's expectations (which is not the same as "pleasing" the owner - the dog does what it's told, even if what the owner is saying is not what the owner thinks is being said!).
[notify]
Juno

Barked: Sat Sep 21, '13 1:19pm PST 
I am not worried about bonding with me, I know that can happen any time. I am talking about that time period where it is easier to teach a dog to be more accepting before they enter the supposed 'fear' phase of growing up (5-7 month I think? Depending on the size of the dog as well.) I am not sure how true the whole 'socializing window' is, but I have came across a lot of journals and articles that talk about it. There is even a 'checklist'; one of the more famous ones made by Dr. Sophia Yin.

I know I am being a bit silly in being worried about such things and I am going to go check out a few of the adult dogs/older puppies there as well (especially since they are easier to housebreak!) I am just worried about ending up with an anxious dog; I have already dealt with an anxious cat before, and although I loved him I am ready for a more social creature that can tag along with me on my adventures.
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Sat Sep 21, '13 5:30pm PST 
From my experience, shelters tend to work hard to pair compatible dogs with compatible people. Typically they want to find a good home for the dog where the people wont be overwhelmed and want to return it. This can sometimes take time though so its important to be patient. Keep in mind also that shelters are primarily volunteer run so that could be why you arent getting through way to go
[notify]
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Sat Sep 21, '13 8:47pm PST 
If your living situation wasn't right for Juno, then why is right for another puppy? She'd be better off staying at the shelter than being adopted and returned. BTW, I can see why you fell for Juno.
[notify]
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Sat Sep 21, '13 8:48pm PST 
If your living situation wasn't right for Juno, then why is right for another puppy? She'd be better off staying at the shelter than being adopted and returned. BTW, I can see why you fell for Juno.
[notify]
Juno

Barked: Sat Sep 21, '13 9:39pm PST 
Juno was only with us temporarily to see how she would work out and to help the shelter out with a sudden influx; turned out she was highly reactive towards certain men dressed in traditional clothing. My dad is one of those men, and while I had no problems with working with her on her problem he got really scared of her along with my mother. Both my parents are pretty elderly (dad is in his 70s and is pretty frail). She was bigger than they had anticipated since they didn't get to see her at the shelter (we've always had toy dogs before.) So that, added with her re-activity made them decide against her completely. I was allowed to foster her until the shelter took her back but was told that a smaller dog would be greatly appreciated if I were to adopt again. wink This is why I want to adopt her officially whenever I get my own house because I know she is the perfect dog, she just needs patience and a little work (like every dog out there.)

Edited by author Sat Sep 21, '13 9:44pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2