GO!

Breed guesses now that he's older

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 4:14pm PST 
I posted some pictures when he was younger, but now that the dog is older, I'm curious what breeds you guys see. I have a really hard time seeing any one breed very strongly. He was adopted from a shelter at around 8 weeks, and for all I know could just be a real Heinz 57.

Face

Head

Running

Running 2

Running 3

Running 4
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 5:32pm PST 
German Shepherd/Collie

Side profile looks Miniature Pinscher to me.
[notify]
Leia

The Cowardly- Lion - I'll find my- courage

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 5:32pm PST 
Honestly, to me he just looks like 'a dog.' Essence of canine. If I was asked to describe an average dog, that's what I'd end up with laugh out loud He's lovely, but completely nondescript. Maybe a basic lab/shepherd mix? If I had to guess, that's what I'd say. Sorry, not very helpful!
[notify]

Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 5:38pm PST 
Your dog looks a lot like he might be some kind of cur/mix. Was he pulled from a shelter in the "deep south" of the U.S.? Or was the shelter near a rural area with a strong hunter culture? Curs are popular in such areas.

In fact, it is believed Old Yeller was actually supposed to be a cur, not a lab.

They are often used for treeing small game animals but I have heard that family of dogs can do many different jobs as well.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 7:07pm PST 
Nondescript is the perfect word laugh out loud A lack of distinguishing features is why I have such a hard time thinking of breeds for him.

GSD and/or Lab mix is about all I've been able to come up with, too. I hadn't considered Collie, but if it were the smooth variety, I can see some similarities in body type. I could maybe see Cur in the coloring, but his body somehow doesn't seem right for a Cur, to me. He wasn't adopted in the South or in an area where Curs are particularly common. He's not my dog or I'd have better pictures of him. He's very vocal in an annoying, whiny kind of way, which does make me think GSD.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Sep 17, '13 3:23am PST 
He looks like some kind of sight hound mix to me. His head is small & thin like a Grey Hounds or Saluki? And his body is long and lean.
[notify]
Sasha

Better watch- yourself!

Barked: Tue Sep 17, '13 6:11am PST 
Kali that's what I saw! "Running 2" picture, that leg is all sighthound of some sort. But hey I think I found your dog! Lol. Don't know how to post pictures on here but here's the link

http://retrieverman.net/2011/04/19/david-brian-plummer-had-c ontradictory-views-on-the-golden-retriever-lurcher/

P.S. How do you post pictures?
[notify]
Leia

The Cowardly- Lion - I'll find my- courage

Barked: Tue Sep 17, '13 7:19am PST 
Wow Sasha, I've never heard of a Golden/Greyhound type lurcher, but it's awfully close. I've learned something!

Also, to post photos, go to http://jonrad.com/dogster/forumImage.html and insert the image url and a description. It'll give you some code to put in your post, which will result in a hover link for your photo.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Sep 17, '13 7:26am PST 
I had that thought too the last time I saw him! All the running pictures were taken by me, and watching him run made me wonder if there could be a bit of sighhound in there with the long legs, deep chest, and small head. But then I wasn't sure how much of the long legs and small head could be chalked up to the very early neuter by the shelter. Plus I'm used to Onyx's head, so I figured this dog's head might just seem small by unintentional comparison. I don't think he looks as much like a sighthound as that picture, doubt he could be a straight cross with a sighthound, but there are similarities.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that laugh out loud I almost mentioned it in both of my last posts, but I thought I might just be crazy.
[notify]
Sasha

Better watch- yourself!

Barked: Tue Sep 17, '13 8:11am PST 
Leia I hadn't either laugh out loud Was just looking at different lurcher dogs and found him. And thanks for the help on pictures, had always wondered, gonna try and post on this response.

Onyx you're not crazy at all smile I think he has a very small head/muzzle with that distinctive "stop" that the sighthounds have. He might be a very close mix to that one, just seems so similar.. shrug Either way he's pretty cool looking big grin

Golden Greyhound
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3