GO!

Evaluating Small Dogs for Jogging Ability?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 4:50pm PST 
Hey pups! I've been AWOL from Dogster for the last several months. I ran into some heartbreaks in the process of finding the right dog, so I decided to take some time off from dog stuff and come back when I was ready. Well, I'm ready now - and I'm actually meeting some dogs this weekend!

Here's what my question gets at. In the time I've been away from dog-hunting, I've really gotten into running/jogging. I run 5K distances pretty regularly, and I'm working my way up to my first half marathon next February. I'd really, really like to have a dog who can run distances with me on a regular basis, but I have to stick to dogs under 20 pounds.

I'm sure that this is possible with smaller dogs (I've seen JRTs recommended for marathon runners, for example), but I'm not totally sure what to look for when I'm meeting rescue or shelter dogs. Is there a particular body type I should check for? Behavior traits? Any breeds I might want to steer toward? I'm currently avoiding brachycephalic breeds, but are there any other types I should avoid?

If you have any advice on finding small dogs who can run for miles, I would love to hear it!
[notify]
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 4:55pm PST 
Additional question: one of the dogs I'm going to meet tomorrow is only 10 pounds, and for that reason the rescue is pretty dubious about his exercise abilities (even though he's got long legs and pretty good energy level). They're thinking he could do 2 miles at a time, max, due to his size. Should I rule out all dogs 10 pounds and under for distances longer than 2-3 miles?
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 5:54pm PST 
You're spot on with the terriers, most small terrier breeds have no problem keeping up. smile
Lots of spitz breeds have the energy and stamina as well (even Poms pulled sleds, before they were bred down in size), but if it's going to be hot when you're running than I wouldn't recommend them.

Here's on older thread I found on Dogster that has some breeds reqs for small jogging buddies:
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Choosing_the_Right_Dog/threa d/715982/1

It also sounds like it's a good idea to start with less distance and build them up to the longer runs to prevent injury, just like with humans. XD I wouldn't look at the weight as much as I would the energy levels and how athletic they look (like... do they look like this is an activity they would have a lot of fun doing). And coat, to make sure they're not too hot or too cold on your runs.

Add Italian Greyhounds to the list of breeds to avoid, they are sprinters and probably wouldn't enjoy a long-distance run.
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 9:07pm PST 
Watch for breeds prone to patella issues. Jewel's having issues now and while still athletic I worry about aging. Look for nice straight legs, Jewel's back legs are starting to bow out. If possible have someone walk the dog away and back to you and just watch their legs.

Good luck!!
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 10:42pm PST 
I wouldn't run a dog longer than a 5k on leash.

Where do you run / train ? I toss Nare over the fence at my old High School (have their permission, of course!) and run on the track while he is off leash and can choose to run with me or do whatever he wants.. Do you have anything like that ? Might make things a little easier.
[notify]
Delta

Play hard, sleep- well.

Barked: Thu Oct 10, '13 5:50am PST 
I really can't help you if I don't know exactly what you are doing with your dog, but I think that a mini aussie, sheltie or a JRT would work best.

I would NOT recommend a pug or other brachycepalic dog breed, because it can be hard for them to breath.
[notify]